• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New guy with a quick question

BravoChief

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys I'm new to the forum and to be honest I don't even own a Ranger or any truck like it I own a Mustang. I am posting on here because I am helping a family member of mine rebuild a 88 ford ranger with 94 ranger parts.

Some info the project truck: 88 ranger with 94 4.0L V-6 and accompanying transmission, roll cage, Dual gas tanks, Full Fox Racing Suspension, 4x4, and some other minor things. Motor ran after it was dropped in, but hasn't been touched in over a year or so.

We currently need complete interior, drive lines, and some things in the engine compartment. Now my question is as most could assume, What years have the most in common with the 94 ranger that we could use as a donor truck or to get parts from?

I have searching for definite answer for a couple days now

Thanks

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Need more info about the trucks and exactly what you are doing.

nitrofan1

Man without a Ranger
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
EJ251
Transmission
Automatic
Welcome Bravo! It doesn't matter that you don't own an RBV. There are a lot of subscribers that don't. TRS is a source of info. Get your family member to join as well.

As for the interior 83 to 88 models are the same. Since it's a Generation 1 you'll have a harder time finding stuff but it's not impossible. For new parts there's LMC Truck http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fr/t.aspx

For used the best way to get parts is on the For Sale / Need to Buy section. Post what you need there and it may take a little time but there are enough people here and on the other 4 forum sites you should be OK.

We are all pic Whores here so set up a thread in the photo section and let us see what's cookin! :icon_thumby:

BravoChief

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
In basic terms put everything from a 94 ranger into an 88 shell. We want it to be street legal so it can be used as a daily driver and as a toy in the desert. We want to use the 88 shell because it has custom fox racing suspension all the way around, roll cage, fiberglass flared fenders, and dual gas tanks. We already have a 94 engine and trans in with the 94 engine harness and PCM. And now moving onto the interior and rest of the truck. We want to buy a donor truck to part out but can't find any 94s nearby and so I am wondering what other years would be able to use

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Cab, bed, and wheel base of both trucks would be helpful for telling you about the drive shafts.

If the 88 has a good interior, I'd leave it. It's not that hard to make a 4.0 run on a 1st gen dash harness. If it's shot, the dash is a direct bolt up. A lot of the trim panels might fit oddly though.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The dash is not a direct bolt on. I had to add some tabs for the newer dash under the windshield as there were only 2 that lined up. The bracing is different also. I swapped a dash from a 91 into my 88 along with the 4.0, A4LD and the electric transfercase.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Allow me to re-phrase that.

It's about as "direct" as anything any of us do.

And if you don't mind a few bumps and rattles the 4 bolts at the side are enough to hold it on. For the most part, the rest of it is anti-rattle bracing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals