• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A Bunch of Nut Cases

tbirdsps

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
What a bunch of nut cases we are. We take (some of us at least) rusted, beatup, worn out, way past their prime Rangers and what do we do?

Replace frames, cabs, beds, patch modify and otherwise keep our little trucks that have little monetary value going and going and going.

I'm not sure which are the Energizer Bunnies, the trucks or us.

I am totally amazed. I don't think any other brand of small truck gets this kind of attention. And what does Ford do? Kill it off on Dec. 26th. :bawling: Obviously it's our fault by not buying new ones. Then Ford's fault for making them too good.:icon_thumby:

:icon_cheers:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I agree. We should have been using all that money we paid out to repair our trucks to just buy new ones.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
shame on them for making a quality product!!

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I love my 06. everyone things its brand new, loooool

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
yep im a nut, im now hunting for a beaten up dead ranger to stuff a 225 slant6 in cause it seems like a good idea

dasfinc

October 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
With the introduction of the Transit Connect, and a brand new Focus and Fiesta, the heavy commercial buyers have no need for a ranger any longer. Consumers really don't need light trucks when you can buy a basic F-150 for not much more and get the same MPG. If you need a 4 cylinder commercial vehicle you buy a connect. If you need an eco box, you buy the fiesta/focus. Ford has all its bases covered IMO.

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
the new f-150s are too big imo, my dad has an 05 and i hate it cause its too tall, and its just a 2wd model, transits are butt ugly and are not suited for certain jobs. ford should have stuck updated engine packages inside like a 6 spd with eco boost :) or a turbo diesel motor

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
321K miles on my frame, steering box, and most of my dash. everything else (and I mean everything else) has been changed.

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
My entire family and most of my friends think I am crazy for the amount of work I have put into my Mazda. In the past year I have replaced tires, shocks, balljoints, every u-joint, every wheel bearing, spindle bearings, all the fluids, done bodywork, replaced the clutch, replaced brakes and put on new rear drums, done some more bodywork, replaced valve cover gaskets, replaced coil/wires/plugs, and I consider all of this to be general maintenance that should be done periodically to any vehicle. All I am doing is making sure it's mechanically sound before I lift it, lock it, and gear it. That doesn't stop me from still beating on it on trails, though. My dad keeps mentioning things like "Yeah, I suppose you could replace those rockers, or patch 'em up to get you by until you get something else." He actually sold the thing while I was gone in the Army (it WAS in his name) and I made him get it back as soon as I found out. I was so relieved when I got home and found it in the driveway. All through highschool I drove a '90 Ranger with a 2.9 and wheeled the snot out of it (I broke a few sets of leafpacks, bent a tranny crossmember, put the tranny through the rear of the cab(you think I'm exaggerating - but I snagged the crossmember on a stump at 30mph and almost stood the truck on it's nose), snapped motor mounts, burned out a clutch, went through several sets of tires, ect - and it was always able to drive home, even with the front u-joint on the rear driveshaft chewing a hole in the sheet metal), and a Ranger with a Dana 35 and a 31 spline 8.8 with a OHC 4.0 and a manual was my dream vehicle because I figured out what a 2.9 with a Dana 28 and a 7.5 was capable of- not a Lamborghini or a Viper like everyone else - and I finally got that combo when I got my Navajo. I'm not upset it's in a 2-door SUV instead of a truck, I kind of like the back seats and short wheelbase. This thing is an absolute animal on ATV trails. I actually got it down one trail (with open diffs, auto hubs and 31's) where I need to use the front locker on my Suzuki King Quad, and I never even had to so much as rock it back and forth. Had a friend with me who was freaking out, and yes, I had previously had a few err, sodas, so I was using plenty of throttle. I'm convinced this truck has a soul and considers me a friend - one of the reasons I flipped out and got it back instead of finding another one.

I am retiring it from daily driver duties as soon as I can afford to drive almost 700 miles round trip to retrieve my other car from where my sister left it and get it back on the road. That will also allow me to do some work to my truck I've been putting off since it has to be driveable every day. I fully intend on keeping this truck until something catastrophic happens - short of it getting crushed under a semi I'm willing to fix about anything. Yet I still whack it off the occasional rock and tree out wheeling... (try that with a new truck! or try getting a new truck in water so deep your headlights are shining underwater and see how much it likes it)

Last edited:

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Yup, I'm probably certifiable too. I have more RBVs around here that are not in driving condition than I have that are drivable.

And I managed to convince my dad to buy a Ranger with a blown up motor. Now that thing has been collecting rust while I try to fix it up for him.

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
im starting a "SAVE A RANGER" fund to go get me a cheap project truck now, so far i got 5$ a few dozen empty soda cans, and the coins i stole from my buddies old washer before he scrapped it(it didn't die from natural causes..)

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
I love my 06. everyone things its brand new, loooool
My 99 still looks like brand new as well. I bought it new July 99. It gets trail ridden twice a month for a camping trip and it has been a great truck. Never had it break down on me. Plus, I got a great compliment from a Ford sales manager just a couple of weeks ago. I took my buddy over to pick up his new F150 and the sales manager saw my Ranger in the parking lot and wanted to know if we saw the owner of that neat looking Ranger. I told him it was mine and he spent about 30 min. looking it over inside and out. He said he wanted to buy my truck for his son. He offered me $6,000 for it cash that day. I told him I had no plans on selling it. He gave me his home phone number and cell number and told me to call him if I do want to sell it sometime. So, that made me fell really good!!!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What a bunch of nut cases we are. We take (some of us at least) rusted, beatup, worn out, way past their prime Rangers and what do we do?

Replace frames, cabs, beds, patch modify and otherwise keep our little trucks that have little monetary value going and going and going.
Makes no sense does it? :icon_twisted:

88ranger89camaro

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
:headbang:

its worth it if you got something you like there is a good hand full of 1st gen rangers around me, but only a few old s-10s and no dakotas

Last edited:

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
My 99 still looks like brand new as well. I bought it new July 99. It gets trail ridden twice a month for a camping trip and it has been a great truck. Never had it break down on me. Plus, I got a great compliment from a Ford sales manager just a couple of weeks ago. I took my buddy over to pick up his new F150 and the sales manager saw my Ranger in the parking lot and wanted to know if we saw the owner of that neat looking Ranger. I told him it was mine and he spent about 30 min. looking it over inside and out. He said he wanted to buy my truck for his son. He offered me $6,000 for it cash that day. I told him I had no plans on selling it. He gave me his home phone number and cell number and told me to call him if I do want to sell it sometime. So, that made me fell really good!!!

thats pretty sweet! Ive had a few people offer me some money. sometimes a decent amount, but i smile, say no thanks and drive away lol. $6,000 isnt bad either!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals