• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I need to Tow my Ranger... With my Ranger

dasfinc

October 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Seriously...

I'm taking my orange Std cab/stepside with the V-8 up to Byron this weekend, and was going to rent a dolly or trailer to bring it down with... Then I realized that being a full framed truck, a towbar may be a viable option since the front bumper on my orange truck is trashed anyways I'll just attach the bar to the bumper mounts... then I realized I could buy one brand new for like $50...

Anyone tow a ranger with a bar? Suggestions? Should I pull the driveshaft out? Etc/Etc/Etc?

Oh, Towing with my super cab 4X4 4.0OHV

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I tow my '91 race truck with a tow bar. I pull the bumper, then attach the tow bar. It's pretty quick-5 minutes tops. I would strengthen the area if it's just the C type channel, mine started bending with a cheap Princess Auto tow bar after hitting some bumps. I now have a much better design of tow bar and have made some brackets specifically for towing. I got this one and a pair of v-groove tire chains for C$75.00 at a yard sale.

There is a round bar that connects the two sides making a much stronger design compared to the cheap ones;

Folded up;

Richard

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
I towed my old 88 once or twice with a tow bar, it went fine. You don't need to pull the drive shaft, but put the transmission in gear and the transfer case in neutral.

dasfinc

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What are "V-grove tire chains" ?

My front clip is boxed thankfully (98+), its below the cab when it changes to C-chanel.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I towed my old 88 once or twice with a tow bar, it went fine. You don't need to pull the drive shaft, but put the transmission in gear and the transfer case in neutral.
I forgot to mention this. Good advice.
There is a thread about towing, maybe even stickied, search it out. Especially if your towing with electric transfer case.

What are "V-groove tire chains" ?
I tried to look the term up but it must be local or made up in my mind. I'm meaning tire chains built exclusively with chain, no cable. The chain going across the tire has V shaped pieces of metal welded/attached to the chain. New C$150.00-250.00 My tow bar new C$~500.00.

Richard

dasfinc

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I forgot to mention this. Good advice.
There is a thread about towing, maybe even stickied, search it out. Especially if your towing with electric transfer case.

I tried to look the term up but it must be local or made up in my mind. I'm meaning tire chains built exclusively with chain, no cable. The chain going across the tire has V shaped pieces of metal welded/attached to the chain. New C$150.00-250.00 My tow bar new C$~500.00.

Richard
OHHHH, I understand now... I was confused because I thought it was something you were using on the truck you were towing!!!

I was like "I need to put chains on my tires while I'm towing with a tow bar... Is this guy high?"

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals