• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Sensor near the 02 sensor/cat

increasinglyhumbled

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
recently my 88 B2 has been running awful...revs high and has almost no power output, can barely make it up my driveway. It sounds like a loud vacuum, so I figure it's related to the vacuum line. I was looking at the catalytic converter, found the 02 sensor (was pretty proud of myself for that) but right in that general area was an empty clip that looks like it should have something connected to it. Anybody know what that might be?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

increasinglyhumbled

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
well, as usual, this is turning into an adventure/learning experience. after farting around with the vacuum lines, I took it for a test drive, smelled burning brakes and noticed smoke. The e brake has been acting funny so I went to the driver rear brake assembly and noticed the e brake doesn't disengage properly...so I'm now having fun with springs and levers and diagrams...and just punctured my wheel cylinder.

I'm going to go through all of the brake assemblies and clean em up/sand any sticking points and grease them in hopes that my lagging speeds were caused by faulty brakes?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
One of those is for backup lights, I think the other one is the neutral sensor, it's used to detect shifter position and modifies the idle speed accordingly.

increasinglyhumbled

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
OK, I looked up that neutral position sensor...looks to be specific to automatics? This is a manual, so sounds like some conversions were done and that's why it was bypassed. When I plugged it in, my dashboard lights stopped working and so did my temperature gauge. Dash lights started working again after I unplugged it, but the temperature gauge did not. Summabetch.

Been fighting with the rear drum brakes all day. How important is it that the self adjuster mechanism works?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals