• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Interesting side effects...

Trekkiejt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I am working through this 89 BII I bought and fixing things up and have run into some interesting effects that I wonder if anyone could shed some light upon. A/C didn't work so jumpered the switch and the compressor comes on--works fine, needs coolant, fine. After shutting off the engine we find gas leaking from a vacuum hose and determine bad FPR--changed that.

Now without gas in the vacuum lines the engine has stopped loping (side effect #1) and the cruise control now is only either full throttle or nothing when it's on (effect #2) so going down the road on cruise makes for an interesting ride.

Also, the front wheels were wobbly. Found that the washer with the pin was installed backwards on both sides and nothing was torqued down (at least everything in there was new and hadn't been driven that way enough to damage the bearings). Got that straight and in the process removed the driver's side brake and reinstalled (didn't on the passenger since we'd diagnosed the issue) and now when braking it pulls hard to the left (side effect #3). It didn't hardly brake at all prior to this. Figured we'd remove and re-install the passenger side and bleed them all and see what that does.

Any suggestions on where to go with these next would be greatly appreciated. I'm new to working on cars so each of these is an adventure... I'm sure I'll have more questions, as there is many more things to do.

Slammin Sam

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Your approach is correct. As with any used vehicle, you should change all fluids, replace all hoses and belts. This will give you a known baseline for future maintenance. Since some previously done work has needed correction, do you have any records for other work? Did you pick this up from a dealer or private seller?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Cruise control has 2 parts, the Servo, which uses engine vacuum to pull throttle open, and the Speed Amplifier, which is the electronic part that tells the Servo what to do.

Usually if Servo maxes out when system is engaged it is the Amplifier that is the problem, assuming speedometer is working.
Not sure what year Ford added the electronic VSS(vehicle speed sensor) to the mechanical cable on the trans
Speedo cable was used until '94 but computer and cruise control used VSS signal, just not sure what year they started doing the dual system, look at the speedo cable in the engine compartment, if it runs to the cruise control "box" and a another cable comes out and goes to the firewall then you won't have the VSS.
If speedo cable runs from trans straight into firewall then you will have a VSS.
VSS issue would most likely be no cruise control, not maxed out when engaged.
This is assuming Ford factory cruise control, not an add-on

Last edited:

Trekkiejt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
There are no repair records that came with this Bronco. The guy I got it from (private seller) told me he traded a four wheeler for it to a kid whom got it as a graduation present from his dad whom bought it from a title loan company--none of which transferred it into their name. Most of the repairs are well done but some look like an ADHD teenager did it. For example, the bracket for the new radio was installed perfectly however the wiring for it is a mess. The radio doesn't come on but I do get a buzz from one speaker when the headlights are on, the engine is running, and the transmission is in drive.

As for the cruise control I'll get a chance to check into that Sunday. I drove it again yesterday and twice the cruise worked flawlessly and twice it was messing up. It is factory original cruise by the way. My other plans for Sunday include charging the A/C, loosening the brake bleeders, and leather wrapping the steering wheel after I remove the yarn, the fabric cover held on by the 4 feet of yarn, and the sun bleached blue duct tape under the cover.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals