• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

bronco II cv drive shaft swap

89REDRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Buick
Engine Size
3.3 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I had a shaft from a Super-Cab cut up and built into a shaft the would work on the B2. It doesn't have the double-cardan (which I'll have to have before I can lift it), but it seems to work just fine. The shaft only cost me $100 to have rebuilt, shortened, balenced, with a warranty. It'll cost me another $100 to have the double-cardan joint added and everything. If you guys want the older style shafts with U-joints let me know. The wrecking yard here had 9 B2s with them last time I went out. They cost $45 each. I'll charge a little to drive out there, pull them, and ship them.

88BII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 2.8
Transmission
Manual
try your local auto parts store. i picked mine up for $220 brand new from advanced auto parts. im in florida. you might not have one where you live.

NetBSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i made my driveshaft from a ranger one.

you need the 2 slip joints so it will connect to the t-case without mods

cut down and ready to weld. i tossed 1/2 quart of 10w40 in it to help balance

and its been installed and used hard since the date on that last pic

rbrocks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a shaft out of a 89 auto, has u joints. fit my 88 with a 5 speed. want it?

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
That's still going to be over $300 with tax, shipping, and core. It's VERY unlikely that a broken CV shaft is "rebuildable" because you can't get the tulips from anywhere.

You can have one MADE for that, with a better design (it DOES matter for Bronco IIs because they are so dang short). You want a CV joint on the front end (the double cardan design LMC describes). Or it's going to shake like 1906.
I disagree.

A couple years back I bought a used driveshaft from someone on here. I don't know what it came from originally but it had the correct flanges on both ends to bolt to the 1350 and the 7.5". It was also the correct length.

Mine has a single u-joint on each end and I have no vibration problems.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I don't know what it came from originally but it had the correct flanges on both ends to bolt to the 1350 and the 7.5". It was also the correct length.

Me too, found mine laying next to a B2 in a junkyard, me thinks it's a replacement style sold in LMC.

2ranger87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I disagree.

A couple years back I bought a used driveshaft from someone on here. I don't know what it came from originally but it had the correct flanges on both ends to bolt to the 1350 and the 7.5". It was also the correct length.

My '87 B2 with an a4ld has a single u-joint at each end, and i have no problems with vibrations....(stock height)

I've parted a few 88+ B2's that have had replacement shafts in them, one even had a double cardan end on it. (I doubt they were factory shafts.....I just got lucky) :)

Last edited:

insane302cancan

EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/2003
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Excuse my ignorance, but what is wrong with the Cv/Cardan style drive shaft? I grabbed one from an early 80's bronco for my v8 build.

Captainstubs1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You mentioned James duff but the Bronco graveyard also sells the replacement for the b2 was gonna go through them for my 89 because iirc they were cheaper

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals