Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Help Forums - Engine & Transmission Forums > 4-bangers > 4-Cylinder (2000 & Older)

Notices

Old 12-18-2008, 12:45 AM   #1
beenjammin

Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
beenjammin is on a distinguished road
Default Cooling system

Ok, so got another question, hopefully its simple....

So today I drained and flushed out my cooling system and replaced the thermostat and its housing. Filled the radiator back up as well as the reservoir tank up to the "cold fill" mark. Started it up and let it run until the upper radiator hose got warm, indicating that the thermostat opened up. Shut it off and let it cool before I took the radiator cap off to add some more and "burp" any bubbles outta the upper radiator hose. Took it for a drive and after a couple minutes the temperature gauge dropped from where it normally is to almost cold. I stopped and in neutral I revved the engine a little, but not too much, and the gauge climbed back up to about normal again. There also appear to be no leaks.

The only thing I can figure is that I don't have all the air out of the system and a pocket is causing the gauge to drop. I'm going to check it tomorrow to see where the radiator coolant level is at.

Sorry about the long explanation, haha, I tried to include as many details as possible

Anybody have any ideas? I've never drained/flushed a cooling system before.
Thanks!
beenjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Supporting Member.

5% Rock Auto Discount Code: 20B2FF503DCF74 Expires: September 28, 2018
Old 12-18-2008, 05:41 AM   #2
mikepotts

mikepotts is on a distinguished road

you are correct, the system is still low. when i am filling a cooling system, i always leave the cap off, start the motor, let it run watching the level in the rad, it will raise and lower several times while the stat is trying to open before it finally does (sometimes spills a little, no biggie), when it opens, you will know it, as you mentioned the top hose will feel hot, but the rad will be noticably low also, top it off and cap it, you should be good to go!
mikepotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:36 PM   #3
beenjammin

Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
beenjammin is on a distinguished road

I tried this out and it appears to have helped get a lot of that air out of there. Temp gauge didn't move nearly as much. Still seems like there is a little left in there so I'm going to do it again and get everything right tomorrow cause I don't have work

Thanks for the help man!
beenjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:34 PM   #4
tomw

Vehicle Year: 1985
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger
I use this vehicle for: for everything
My credo: vertical and above ground
tomw has a spectacular aura abouttomw has a spectacular aura abouttomw has a spectacular aura about

You might try disconnecting one of the heater core hoses, and letting air out. I have a back flush tee in mine, and I can remove the cap to let bubbles out without drooling coolant all over the place. The heater core and hoses seem to gather all the air pockets in mine.
When I have changed coolant, I do not run it with the cap off, as it will start to expand immediately and come out the radiator filler onto the ground. I try to get all the air out of the upper radiator hose by squeezing it to force air out, and letting it relax to take in more coolant. Once the radiator is full, I put the cap on, fill the overflow, and run the engine til hot, let it cool, and check levels. The radiator should be full to the brim when cold.

tom
tomw is offline   Reply With Quote