• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4x4 newbie

Sdude2008

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5x15
Just bought my fourth Ranger a 1999 4x4. The previous 3 have been rwd. Anyway the seller showed me how he replaced the vacuum front hubs with manual hubs. He said to engage the four wheel drive I need to turn the dash knob, turn the hub dials and then drive in reverse for about 10 feet. He said to do the reverse to take it back to 2wd.
Is this normal? ( I said I was a 4x4 newbie)
Thanks.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Having to back up to get into 4x4 is unusual, usually just the action of the axle shafts being driven is enough. Having the back up to get out is normal. It takes any windup stresses off the various joints that may be keeping them bound together even though they have been disengaged.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I dont think ive ever seen a system that uses reverse to engage. Once you lock the hubs your in.

My guess is he missspoke and meant you had to back up to disengage the front end

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
My 98 I just lock in my manual hubs and then engage the switch and drive forward. Never had a problem. Now I have a manual case and I do the same procedure.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
RWD = 2WD.

Indeed it is to allow the system to disengage back to 2WD. There's no need to back up while you are putting it into 4x4.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The "backup thing" was for Auto Hubs, or PVH Hubs(which were like "auto hubs"), and only to switch from 4WD to RWD.

The Auto Hubs engaged by front axle torque
In RWD the front axle doesn't turn so Auto Hubs stayed Unlocked.
When you change transfer case to 4WD the front axle starts to turn, has torque, so the Auto Hubs would engage, Lock wheel to axle, and you have 4WD in Forward AND Reverse :)

When you shift transfer case back to RWD, front axle loses torque and Auto hubs "should" Unlock, but sometimes one, or both wouldn't, so front axle would keep turning with the wheel.
Backing up without transfer case torque on the axle would reverse the "drag" torque on the Auto Hub causing it to release/unlock

With Manual hubs you are controlling a gear that connects axle and hub/wheel to lock it, or unlock it, so no "backing up" would be required to Unlock front axle/wheels, a gear is physically moving in side the hub when you turn the Hub from lock to unlock

And just an FYI
In the winter or anytime you might need 4WD, just leave the front hubs Locked all the time, then you can do "shift on the fly"(while moving) to 4high when ever you need to and then back to RWD when you don't need 4WD, no stopping needed.

You do need to stop to get into and out of 4low

2001 and up Rangers have full time LOCKED front hubs, Ford calls it "Live Axle"
Absolutely does not hurt anything to leave front hubs locked, but since you can unlock yours, you can pick up .2-.4MPG while they are unlocked :)

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
A manual hub (or t-case) will not unlock (revert back to 2WD) if there is tension or bind on the driveline (maybe some here might remember systems from the 1970s where hub dials and t-case levers would be jammed in position if there was any bind on the system, you literally could not move them at all). You need to back up or otherwise release the tension before that gear is physically able to move (blipping the throttle while going forward in a straight line can very often release the tension long enough for it to disengage as well).

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
A manual hub (or t-case) will not unlock (revert back to 2WD) if there is tension or bind on the driveline (maybe some here might remember systems from the 1970s where hub dials and t-case levers would be jammed in position if there was any bind on the system, you literally could not move them at all). You need to back up or otherwise release the tension before that gear is physically able to move (blipping the throttle while going forward in a straight line can very often release the tension long enough for it to disengage as well).
Yes, manual hubs will not turn to unlock if there is still axle tension, and in that case moving vehicle one way or the other would release it
Should have included that

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
or just run over a couple of small bumps, anything that bounced a wheel. worked on my 'ol 77 F150

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
How do I know if I need camber bolts?
easy. If there's an empty hole where they used to be - then you need some.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I would definitely change over to the one piece type. Those should have replaceable ball joints so you don't have to swap the complete arm in the future.

As far as camber bolts - I think it's a good idea. If there's any chance you'll ever lift the truck down the road, it'll save you money on an alignment shop installing them for you.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Let's slow down :)

The passenger side has an adjustable upper a-arm for caster adjustment.

So, unless his truck was built perfect (or he doesn't care about alignment), he needs the adjustable upper a-arm.

Both the one piece (driver's) and adjustable (passenger's) and be found with/without replaceable ball joints.

And if you don't have camber bolts, you will know because the a-arms will have fallen off. The camber bolts hold the upper a-arms in place.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I thought about this a little more last night; And the question is probably does one need to replace camber bolt, rather than does one need camber bolts.

The answer being - the camber bolt shouldn't need replacement except in areas of extreme corrosion as it doesn't wear.

What can wear are the camber cams which slide over the camber bolt - they can get "flat spotted" in their historic position and then it becomes challenging for alignment shop to make a small change. If you are replacing bushings in the a-arms, replacing the camber cams is simple, preventative touch.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals