• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

C5 Tranny wont shift

Brownie Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So i got my 84' B2 about 3 weeks ago and got it running smooth and fine (Some idiot decided to run the vacuum lines himself and forgot 4 of them) i still have yet to get a 100 point inspection but thats coming soon. Anyways the only current major problem is the tranny, its a C5( rare transmission for a B2) and it wont shift automatically if i put it into drive it stays in first and even pushing revs it doesnt shift the only way to drive this is 1. Stay in second or 2. shift from 1st-2nd-drive and thats a problem any ideas?

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Because of vacuum problems . . check to see that you have a vacuum line to the modulator.

Brownie Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ive looked through my chiltons back and forth (ive actually read through it just like any other book) and there is nothing on the vacuum diaphragm or modulator on the C5 tranny it only tells me where it is on the A4LD and information on these C5's is hard to come by any suggestions? plus all my vacuum is accounted for now according to the under hood vacuum diagram because there is nothing going to the tranny upon inspection nor on the underhood sticker. Ive noticed a vacuum line going from behind the engine by the firewall and it goes down to the tranny but there is nothing hooked up its just open to open tube and i cant find where it goes on either side. Where can i find info on these C5's ?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There is a canister (the modulator) on the very rear passenger side of the transmission case that should be getting manifold vacuum. Right behind the transmission pan.

You can see it behind the filter here, it is the goldish colored thing that looks like it has a sticker on it:

The C4 is very similar and very common if that does you any good.

This may help you too...

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/C5Diagnosis.html

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Its the goldish color small can to the left in this picture. It needs vacuum to shift correctly. You should be able to build enough pressure to shift without it, but you have to rev it up pretty high.

Brownie Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok ive located the piece it has no vacuum ( gotta wonder who would forget something like that) how do i get a vacuum line to it now? i dont have time now but if i remember correctly there are no more lines coming from the vacuum pump and its a stock setup is it possible there is a seperate pump for the tranny? ( sorry if thats a bad question im still a newbie)

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Vacuum for the modulator has to come directly from the manifold. It uses manifold vacuum, not ported vacuum. Either a fitting right from the intake manifold or on the carb, BUT BELOW the throttle plates.

Brownie Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What do these look like i looked in my chiltons there is no actualy picture just diagrams.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A small barbed fitting.

There should be two on the front of your carb down low, you either want the lower one of those or something similar pulling off the intake manifold.

If you have ever been around a fish aquarium they look similar to what they use for airlines.

Brownie Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
alright thanks for all the help got home today took some old vacuum line and connected the two things together shifts like a bad ass now :D thanks for the help

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
No problem, that was an easy one.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals