• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Troubleshoot Xfr Case Control Module? Buy Used?

bluemoon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2003 Ranger XLT FX4, 4.0, automatic. The 4X4 no longer engages, no clicks, nothing. I've read your troubleshooting guide and as many posts as I can find. I'm pretty sure my problem is the control module.

Questions:
1. Is there an actual way to troubleshoot my present module with a voltmeter to know for sure that it is defective?
2. I see these cost in the range of $175+ now to buy new. Is it advisable to buy a rebuilt or used one on eBay? It would be a lot cheaper, but I'm not sure of what the quality or dependability of those modules would be?

Thank you for your help.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
The troubleshooting guide in the " how to tech" section is pretty thorough. I'm not sure how else you would check the module. Are you real sure the shift motor is good? The contacts/wipers in the motor assembly are a very common issue. They get dirty and don't make good contact. I recently disassembled mine, cleaned it real good and lubricated the worm gear assembly before putting it all back together.

This message composed solely of recycled electrons. Go green!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals