• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.8 Performance

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
About The 2.8L:
The 2.8L engine in the Ranger is the same design as the 2.8 V-6 used since 1974 in the Ford and Mercury Capri vehicles. This engine has quite a bit of performance parts available. The 2.8L's are known to burn oil and smoke when the get high mileage. They use a rubber valve seal that deteriorates and leaks oil into the cylinder. This can be fixed by pulling the valve covers off, removing the spark plug and filling the cylinder with compressed air (Need Special Fitting), and then removing the valve spring and replacing the seal (The Air Keeps The Valve From Dropping In To The Cylinder). This should be repeated for each valve and then the valve lash reset when complete. This is a cheap and easy repair.

Induction:
The 2.8L V-6 comes with a 2-bbl carburetor and manifold with a traditional round metal air filter container. Aftermarket intake manifolds have been available in the past (Still tracking this down) and may still be available as an upgrade. The air cleaner can be modified by adding another air intake and then routing intake hoses to a fresh air source providing a dual ram air effect. this of course should be accompanied by a K&N Air Filter. There are many 2-bbl air cleaners out there of different dimensions, and it's metal design allows for modifications for any type of set-up.

Performance Automotive Warehouse carries Offenhauser 4BBL Intake Manifold Part Number 0FF-6097-DP (part of Port-O-Sonic line). The ignition system must be changed to earlier vacuum advance unit (Dura-Spark II) eliminating the EEC-IV computer and pollution equipment. You can use the distributor, ignition module and coil from a 78 Pinto. The Offenhauser Intake does not have an EGR setup. This will not allow the A4LD tranny to shift correctly. More Offenhauser intake info HERE.

AK Miller (9236 Bermudez, Dept. TW, Pico Rivera, CA 906603, 562-949-2548) has a draw through twin turbo setup for the mustang that will also bolt onto the manifold of the 2.8 ranger.

You can also swap on fuel injection. Check out the 2.8 Fuel Injection page.

Also check out the Duraspark ignition conversion here. Using the Duraspark ignition, you can eliminated the computer, vacuum rail, vacuum reservoir, and all the wiring mess that goes along with that. Get the carburator that is on the 2.8 donor engine your Duraspark ignition comes from. The Ranger 2.8 has the most complicated carburater control system I've seen.

Camshafts:
Crane Cams offers several camshafts for this engine as well as custom grinds. They can be obtained by contacting either Jegs or Summit Racing.

Also check out Competition Cams.

CamCraft carries camshafts for Rangers.

Ignition:
Summit Racing offers a Crane and MSD coil and ignition. The Crane TFI PS-91 coil is Part# CRN-730-0391 and the Crane HI-6 Ignition is Part# CRN-6000-6420
The MSD Blaster TFI Coil is Part# MSD-8227 and the MSD-6T ignition is Part# MSD-6400.
Summit also carries Jacobs

You should upgrade to 8mm spark plug wires and will have to purchase a set of universal wires and cut them. Summit has a universal set Part# SUM-6825 (90 degrees) and Part# Sum-6826 (180 degrees).

Also check out the Duraspark ignition conversion here. Using the Duraspark ignition, you can eliminated the computer, vacuum rail, vacuum reservoir, and all the wiring mess that goes along with that. Get the carburator that is on the 2.8 donor engine your Duraspark ignition comes from. The Ranger 2.8 has the most complicated carburater control system I've seen.

Exhaust:
Hedman, Hooker, and Pacesetter manufacture headers for the 2.8L and Edelbrock offers a whole new system including exhaust manifold. Dynomax offers a cat-back system and can be purchased at Jegs under Part# 289-17464. Summit carries the Edelbrock exhaust manifold part# EDL-6846

Check Out Racer Walsh

Here is a list of parts listed on their website

OFFY 4 BBL / HOLLEY 390 CFM:
We recommend this manifold carb combination for street driving. A popular choice for the 2.8 Bronco/Ranger. It will perform well on a stock or modified engine. It is easy bolt-on horsepower that still gives good gas mileage. Bronco & Ranger require a special thermostat / water neck housing # 6278.
6110 4 BBL MANIFOLD 2.8
6239 390 CFM 4 BBL CARB
6278 THERMOSTAT HOUSING

2.6/2.8 V6 cams
Stage 1 cam gives a smooth idle and low and mid range power boost without sacrificing economy. Stage 2 cam is a street/competition grind. Higher lift and increased overlap give a rougher idle. Good midrange power increase. Specify engine year when ordering: '72-'83 had smaller cam journal size than later years.
6411 STAGE 1 CAM (260 DUR 425" LIFT)
6412 STAGE 2 CAM (264 DUR 448" LIFT)
6477 VALVE SPRING SET 2.6/2.8 V6
6449 RETAINER SET STEEL
6489 PUSHROD SET (STOCK REPLACEMENT)
6487 LIFTER SET (STOCK REPLACEMENT)

ENGINE GASKET SET 2.8:
OIL PUMP & BEARINGS 2.6/2.8:
Complete gasket set for the 2.8 engine.
Sorry, gasket set not available for 2.6.
Hi volume oil pump and Clevite bearings.
6592 ENGINE GASKET SET
1765C HI VOLUME OIL PUMP
6520 ROD BEARING SET V6
6528 MAIN BEARING SET V6
1570K ARP ROD BOLTS 2.6/2.8

FORGED PISTONS 2.8:
9-1 forged piston set for the 2800 V6 engine. We stock .030" overbore.
Priced per set of 6, includes wrist pins.
6498 FORGED PISTONS
6499 PISTON RINGS

METAL TIMING GEARS V6:
Metal timing gears are more duraable than the stock fiber type timing gears.
6548 TIMING GEARS V6

2600 vs 2800: The 2800 as used in later Capris, Mustang 2, Ranger and Bronco is basically the same engine with a better head (3 exhaust ports/pipes rather than 2), and larger bore. Rather than rebuild a 2600, we would just replace it with the 2800. They are dimensionally the same, and bolt right in. See our header page for Ranger, Bronco, and Mustang ll headers.

Known Problems:
The 2.8 is known for smoking. It uses a rubber valve seal on the stem that deteriorates and needs replaced. It's an easy and cheap fix. If you have access to compressed air you need to fill a cylinder with air to keep the valves from dropping in the cylinder and then remove the spring retainer, spring and valve seal. Slip on the new rubber seal, reinstall the springs and the retainer. It's that easy. Keep a Chiltons or Haynes manual on hand as a reference and check the valve lash when your done.

If you don't have compressed air available to keep the valves closed to change the seals. An old mechanics trick is to take a rope of about 1/4" diameter and feed it into the spark plug hole. Manually turn the engine until the piston pushes the rope up against the valves keeping them closed. Do not use the starter for this application. Turn the engine in the opposite direction to release the rope.

Miscellaneous:
Port your intake manifold and cylinder heads. The intake and heads don't line up diameter to diameter. Porting opens this up and allows better flow.

Consider adding good synthetic fluids to help reduce the friction on engine parts that rob horsepower. Also remember that adding bigger ring and pinions (From 3.73 To 4.10) will improve the Rangers acceleration. In the 60 and early 70's the first thing Detroit did in muscle cars was to change the ring and pinion (gear ratio) to improve it's acceleration. A typical family car had gears of say 2.73, where many muscle cars had 3.73, 4.10 to 4.56's. This carried in to the 1980's with cars like the Monte Carlo having 2.73's and a single exhaust and the Monte Carlo SS having 3.73's and dual exhaust.

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Parts List

Part #

Brand

Description
CL38-101-4 Competition Cams Good cam for OEM replacement or rebuild. Low RPM torque with good economy.
CL38-240-4 Competition Cams Performance with economy, power increase in low-mid RPM range. See note 2. (Good For Auto)
CL38-241-4 Competition Cams Great for towing and highway use. Strong torque and power increases. (Good For Manual)
6846 Edelbrock Bolt on headers for 2 and 4 wheel drive Rangers.
0FF-6097-DP Offenhauser 4-Barrel intake manifold.
0-7448 Holley 350 cfm 2-barrel carb.
0-8007 Holley 390 cfm 4-barrel carb.
M-12199-C301 Ford Motorsport Ford Extra Performance Ignition (for non-computer controlled conversion)
M-12029-A302 Ford Motorsport High Energy Coil (for non-computer controlled conversion)
M-12071-A301 Ford Motorsport Wiring Harness (for non-computer controlled conversion)
M-12449-A600 Ford Motorsport RPM Programming Chips 6000-6800 RPM for Ford Extra Performance Ignition.
48-2691 NAPA Auto Parts 979 Vacuum advance distributor (for non-computer controlled conversion)
FA-136 NAPA Auto Parts Ignition Cap for 79 Vacuum advance distributor.
FA-139 NAPA Auto Parts Ignition Cap Adapter Collar for 79 Vacuum advance distributor.
FA-159 NAPA Auto Parts Ignition Rotor for 79 Vacuum advance distributor

Note - The Comp Cam ......part # CL38-241-4 should be used with a manual transmission. The RPM range of this Cam will really hurt an A4LD on takeoff. The torque converters/stall speed is out side of its range. You really want to generate as much low end power as you can with a manual transmission because you can vary the RPM range when you let out the clutch.

Note 2 The CL in the part number can be replaced with SK if you want timing gears included with the cam and lifter kit.

Head Cooling:
Contributed By Ryan Propst

A simple upgrade to the 2.8L heads is to drill two more water passages in them between where the two exhaust valves are side by side. This helps prevent a local boiling point from forming. Just use a good head gasket that already has the water passage holes in them for a guide, and mark the head and drill two holes. Keep the holes a little smaller than the holes in the head gasket. - Ryan

JTCoyoté

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Natedog,

You are the MAN...

I have been a 2.8 lover for a while and have slowly been building a little 2800 for my '87 B2, when the 2.9 tires out... well, that time has come... Though the 2.8 with the same bore at 3.66" but shorter stroke at 2.70", isn't as "torque-y", nor does it have the HP of the 2.9, the 2.8 can be modified to surpass the stock 2.9 in both performance and reliability.

I have chosen to go "Ancient"... I have an '84 2.8 which I'm freshing out... it's getting a new Mallory dual point ignition with coil, and a refreshed Motorcraft 2100 from a Ford 289 circa 1967, with 1.08 venturi, fitted with an electric choke. Pacesetter is providing the headers for the dual exhaust that exits just ahead of the rear tires. I've picked up a set of CompCams metal timing gears and a stage-two camshaft...

I'm removing all the frills, the air-con is gone, and computer control of the engine is history... Any understanding you may possess with regard to keeping proper electrical to the dash, and the lights and such would be helpful. My Bronc-Deuce is a 5-speed with zero power frills inside the cab... I have no emissions to pass here, but at 10,000 feet I need simple, economical, and reliable, with just enough power, I think this will fit the bill.

JTCoyoté

“We confide in our strength, without boasting of it; we respect that of others, without fearing it." -- Thomas Jefferson 1793

Last edited:

FordracingBII

Reaction score
Fort Smith Montana no sales tax and nobodys trying
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Built 2.8L Weber carb, Comp Cam, Edelbrock Headers, ported heads, all synthetic oils
Transmission
Manual
JTCoyote,
Your on the right track. I have done most if not all of the Mods listed above by Natedog. I went with the Weber Carb though. I live in smoggie Southern Kaliphornia :eek: and the emission bullshit choked my 2.8 to death (almost).

10,000 Feet??? where do you live? (Above everybody else!)
At that altitude, that motor is gonna want some air

I love this motor, and as I removed each part related to the emissions This baby came "alive". I am in the process of removing the A4LD and going 5 speed. That should "set this V6 free".

One more mod I would like to try is putting the aluminum spacers between the rocker arms and removing the springs that seperate them.

I had $.02 laying around, so I thought I would throw it in!:D

JTCoyoté

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm in Summit County Colorado about 5 miles west of the divide at the Eisenhower Tunnel. Now snow gets deep here... My '87 B2 has a 6" lift, 4" chassis and 2" body... It has 32x11.50 AT's mounted and I chain the fronts when need be... the ol' boy carries 3.73's in the punkins... a little high for crawlin' rocks, but just right for all round gettin' around...

The 2.9 has been giving me problems for a while, low compression in 2 cylinders, poor fuel economy and low power as well as the usual injection electrical problems after a hard ride up the trails, so I decided that before the snow flies it will have a new more reliable power plant... and here we are.

JTCoyoté

Last edited:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I to am building a 2.8L V6 for the 84 ranger in my sig. It's mostly going back stock, bored .030 and the crank turned .010 over. Going with the stage three comp cam. It's already got a Holley 390 CFM carb, Offenhouser intake and complete dual exhaust only change is I'll be getting a crossover put in the exhaust. The only part that won't be touched for the time being is the heads, they've already got mild porting on the heads, so other than cleaning and rebuilding the they'll be stock. Hopefully the stock set of head won't be cracked like one of the spares I picked up was (came with the engine I got for 75 bucks). If they both are I'll have to use the mustang heads I've got sitting on a shelf. I am hoping to use those to build a set of performance heads down the road. If I get to build those they'll probably get ported and polished, larger valves, 1.6:1 rockers if I can find them.

Sorry I can't help you JTCoyoté, the truck was durasparked when I got it, and it never had a 2.9.

JTCoyote,
One more mod I would like to try is putting the aluminum spacers between the rocker arms and removing the springs that seperate them.
And what exactly would be the benefit of that? No seriously I don't know please inform me.

FordracingBII

Reaction score
Fort Smith Montana no sales tax and nobodys trying
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Built 2.8L Weber carb, Comp Cam, Edelbrock Headers, ported heads, all synthetic oils
Transmission
Manual

JTCoyoté

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
JoshT,

What is the reason for the exhaust crossover... is this a small diameter pressure equalizer, or are there some other issues that I should be aware of.

JTCoyoté

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm taking this directly from the Summit Racing website. Link to the page it came from, X Marks The Horsepower Spot

Why Use a Crossover?
The primary function of a crossover is to equalize the flow of exhaust gas between each side of a dual exhaust system. By equalizing the flow between the pipes, the exhaust system can remove exhaust gas from the engine more efficiently. Exhaust pulses between opposing cylinder banks are smoothed out as well. The net result is a more efficient scavenging of exhaust gas from the cylinder heads, which pulls a fresh air/fuel charge into the engine quicker. And that means more power.

Crossovers come in two flavors. The H-pipe, or balance tube, connects each side of a dual exhaust system with a straight piece of tubing. This allows exhaust gas to move between the pipes, equalizing flow and backpressure between the two sides of the system.

The other type of crossover is the X-pipe. Instead of using a straight cross-tube to connect each side of the exhaust system, the X-pipe literally allows each side to cross over to the other. The advantages of the X-pipe include better exhaust scavenging and improved exhaust flow balance between the pipes.
Currently I am running true dual exhaust, meaning that from the block to the exhaust tip I've got 2 separate exhaust systems. It's setup with headers, turbo mufflers, and they dump on each side (lt-lt, rt-rt) behind the rear wheels pointing out at a 45* angle. The X-pipe should help a little with performance and will definitely help with sound.

JTCoyoté

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
JoshT,

Makes a lot of sense actually and after looking at the design of the crossover shown at your link, when you keep in mind the direct across block firing order of this engine being 1-4-2-5-3-6 it makes a whale of a lot of sense...

This cross-over pipe would help greatly in causing a pressure relief after each firing and exhaust burst, an extracting suction if you will, in the opposite pipe. This would assist in alternately drawing exhaust from one side then the other in a constant rhythm... This would make horsepower, especially at moderate to high RPMs.

JTCoyoté

"You don't cost the government money, the government costs YOU money." --Congressman Ron Paul

Last edited:

JTCoyoté

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2.8L Stroker...

Some time back I caught a post, can't remember where exactly, but it laid out the procedure for modifying and installing a 2.9L crank, rods, and pistons into the 2.8 block... Have any of you guys heard of this.

JTCoyoté

BobR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ferd
Transmission
Manual
Some time back I caught a post, can't remember where exactly, but it laid out the procedure for modifying and installing a 2.9L crank, rods, and pistons into the 2.8 block... Have any of you guys heard of this.

JTCoyoté
this offers little in terms of increased displacement but increases your compression dramaicaly. you'll need to run either a full race cam ( the long duration spills some of your compression) or racing gas.

if you take both the 2.8 and 2.9 crank to a GOOD crank grinder he'll be able to do the work for you.

Bob

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I remember you had to machine the snout of the crank, the 2.8 uses timing gears and the 2.9 uses a chain so the cams spin oposite ways. It has been awhile ago and that is about all I can remember about it.

JTCoyoté

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
this offers little in terms of increased displacement but increases your compression dramaicaly. you'll need to run either a full race cam ( the long duration spills some of your compression) or racing gas.

if you take both the 2.8 and 2.9 crank to a GOOD crank grinder he'll be able to do the work for you.

Bob
Bob,

Thanks so much for your answer...

Believe me, I understand the necessity of a good crank grinder ... since as I understand it the only modification is to convert the nose of the crank to accept the 2.8 lower timing gear in place of the 2.9 sprocket.

It was also my understanding from the article I mentioned above, if I recall it correctly, that if you use the 2.9 rods and pistons as well, it would alleviate any deck height issues.

So, with all things remaining equal, the additional 16.5 or so cc's per cylinder you gain from the swap, shouldn't increase the compression ratio by more than a half a point or so... putting it up just under or right at 9 to 1 compression.

I wish I could find that article ... There is a reference to this modification over on the Capri UK site... but they are not nearly has detailed as the original article was, hence the reason I asked everyone here if they had seen it.

Coyoté

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When they were switching websites people were using google to search achives and come up with stuff from the old site, you might look into that route.

Edit: I found it, when you only have 6 pages to look thru it doesn't take as long as I thought it would. It doesn't sound like a real surefire way but it might help you out.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals