• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

One more 2wd 98 coil spring 5.0 swap.

oddball101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hmm, you've made me think of a few things now. One, have you considered the use of adjustable coilovers for your front suspension? I have fantasized about using a '98 frame before for that reason. It would be so nice to just to be able to twist it into your ideal ride height. That's a feature I really miss from a time when I used to only drive a car. .. What are your thoughts about the adjustable coilovers?

Second, I have found that the sway bars do in fact make a huge difference as well. I am using the expo sways along with the expo rear. If I recall correctly though, you are using a mustang rear, right? I found that I can use the expo rear sway in its stock location but I am not sure how it would fit up with a mustang rear. It's just a stiffer sway bar option you may consider later on.

Lastly is the adjustable proportioning valve you mention. To get my PAT system working properly, I used the donor ABS module. I remember when plugging in the metal brake lines that the way they lined up seemed a little different from the stock ranger configuration, but the line-ends (for lack of better words) didn't allow for them to be screwed anywhere else but the slot that fit those ends. I am wondering if I may have needed to switch the ends to compensate for the change of the rear axle requiring a different pressure. ..Long story short, the ranger config had the brake lines in the ABS module routed slightly different that the explorer ABS module. Which adjustable proportioning valve did you use?

Btw, your truck sounds GREAT.

Paranoia creeps..

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Today I finished the front suspension and front brakes. I spent about two days working on it and taking my time and trying not to rush. I admit I had a little rest break every few hours so the job didn’t seem too bad.

I need to schedule an appointment to have the alignment done and I should be good for a few years. The new front end should make for a strong base for the 5.0 Explorer motor a few short months away. Now that the immediate necessary projects are out of the way I can focus on the engine build and upcoming swap. I am still trying to decide if I want to cut in that left rear quarter or just leave it white for now.
it looks like you replaced a whole bunch of stuff that didnt need replacing. the pictures could be lying but they look clean to me.my 99 explorer doesnt look half as clean as your ranger and the thought of replacing anything on it never crossed my mind. lol it's your truck though. good luck with the project.

oddball101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Attention to detail is in the eye of the beholder. Let's just say the OP is really really focused lol

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
it looks like you replaced a whole bunch of stuff that didnt need replacing. the pictures could be lying but they look clean to me.my 99 explorer doesnt look half as clean as your ranger and the thought of replacing anything on it never crossed my mind. lol it's your truck though. good luck with the project.
Wow!, that is a blast from the past. That is the black 98 Ranger I started preparing for the swap about four years ago. A short time after that I purchased a Red 99 Ranger that became the vehicle for the 5.0 project. The black 98 remained in service as a work vehicle and is still running 100,000 miles a year. Back when those photos were taken it had 118,000 miles on it and now it has 413,000 miles. That is the main reason most of the front end was replaced in one shot. Down time cost more then a couple parts. Since those pictures were taken all of that stuff has been replaced again.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Hmm, you've made me think of a few things now. One, have you considered the use of adjustable coilovers for your front suspension? I have fantasized about using a '98 frame before for that reason. It would be so nice to just to be able to twist it into your ideal ride height. That's a feature I really miss from a time when I used to only drive a car. .. What are your thoughts about the adjustable coilovers?

Second, I have found that the sway bars do in fact make a huge difference as well. I am using the expo sways along with the expo rear. If I recall correctly though, you are using a mustang rear, right? I found that I can use the expo rear sway in its stock location but I am not sure how it would fit up with a mustang rear. It's just a stiffer sway bar option you may consider later on.

Lastly is the adjustable proportioning valve you mention. To get my PAT system working properly, I used the donor ABS module. I remember when plugging in the metal brake lines that the way they lined up seemed a little different from the stock ranger configuration, but the line-ends (for lack of better words) didn't allow for them to be screwed anywhere else but the slot that fit those ends. I am wondering if I may have needed to switch the ends to compensate for the change of the rear axle requiring a different pressure. ..Long story short, the ranger config had the brake lines in the ABS module routed slightly different that the explorer ABS module. Which adjustable proportioning valve did you use?

Btw, your truck sounds GREAT.

Paranoia creeps..
I never thought about the adjustable coil overs but I do like your idea. I may visit that thought once the truck is up and running.

I wanted to use the Explorer rear sway bar but wasn't sure it would fit with a flip kit and a rear end girdle. Now I have the exhaust to consider as well. I used the Ranger 8.8 rear end housing with a 03 Cobra 31 spline diff and 03 Cobra rear brakes. I never thought about the Explorer front sway bar. Does that fit without modification? If so I may need to hunt one down.

I used the Wilwood proportioning valve. I can't remember which of the two I went with. The only difference was the thread pitch. I think it was standard but it may have been the metric piece. It was about $32.00.

oddball101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Good to know about the Wilwood prop valve. The adjustable coilover is pretty nice in my opinion simply because you can get any stiffness you want and then raise it to the desired height and be done with it.

Ranger 8.8, Ah I gotcha that's right. Interesting, because it should effectively be the same shape of the expo axle, just with the perches flipped, but it is the sway bar mounts that make me curious in this regard. I can take pics of mine if you like, no problem, but mine is going to be a little different so I am not sure how applicable it would be.

I was able to use the expo 8.8 and sway bar all in their stock location. I also have a dual out exhaust positioned similarly to yours (though certainly not as pretty) and I was worried about the fitment of the sway bar as well. As it turned out though, I managed to mount the expo sway bar in its normal spot on the axle but with the end links attached to the outside of the ranger frame.

In the transmission mount crossmember, there are two spacers inside the U-fold of the "mount bar" that keep them properly positioned at that distance. As it turns out, I used those spacers from the donor truck along with a few wide washers and a long grade 8 bolt to mount to the outside of the ranger from in the elongated hole that already existed. Using the elongated hole made me nervous at first but I haven't had any slippage or anything. It actually works surprisingly well, though I may drill a single hole for it anyway. I am undecided.. okay, I am going to run outside and snap a quick shot so you can see what I ma talking about and then edit this post with the pics. It is nothing special, but something that may give you another angle for ideas.

Oh, and yes, the explorer front sway bar is a direct bolt on swap. I used donor with now issues what so ever.

**edit
Here are the pics I am talking about regarding the spacer and connection of the stock expo swaybar to the elongated hole on the outside of the ranger frame. No interference from exhaust piping or leaf springs.

I am sure the expo swaybar can be mounted in different ways as well .I have seen a guy use jeep end links on his and it mounted with hte end link pointing straight up into the bottom of the frame rail. I actually liked that idea so much that i bought jeep end links for myself but they were the wrong type (no part number was mentioned and the pic of the part was wrong). Either way though, the stock expo swaybar is a good working solution in its stock location for my SUA setup (stock for the expo's).

I've also heard of people using BII swaybars in the rear with success, for the added stiffness over the expo bars. I'd definitely recommend the expo front swaybar, being a bolt in swap, you can't go wrong for what it does to the ride quality. Helps compensate for the little extra front end weight as well.

***Okay WHOA, didn't know hte size was going to be so large on these photo's. Sorry about that. Not sure how to adjust them down a bit..

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Wow!, that is a blast from the past. That is the black 98 Ranger I started preparing for the swap about four years ago. A short time after that I purchased a Red 99 Ranger that became the vehicle for the 5.0 project. The black 98 remained in service as a work vehicle and is still running 100,000 miles a year. Back when those photos were taken it had 118,000 miles on it and now it has 413,000 miles. That is the main reason most of the front end was replaced in one shot. Down time cost more then a couple parts. Since those pictures were taken all of that stuff has been replaced again.
oh right right, i didnt read much into this thread, i didnt have time to. In that case i imagine it was worth it haha. I can appreciate that you appreciate replacing worn components rather than replacing a vehicle. its such a waste to buy new, when old is fine and dandy with a little TLC :D

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Good to know about the Wilwood prop valve. The adjustable coilover is pretty nice in my opinion simply because you can get any stiffness you want and then raise it to the desired height and be done with it.

Ranger 8.8, Ah I gotcha that's right. Interesting, because it should effectively be the same shape of the expo axle, just with the perches flipped, but it is the sway bar mounts that make me curious in this regard. I can take pics of mine if you like, no problem, but mine is going to be a little different so I am not sure how applicable it would be.

I was able to use the expo 8.8 and sway bar all in their stock location. I also have a dual out exhaust positioned similarly to yours (though certainly not as pretty) and I was worried about the fitment of the sway bar as well. As it turned out though, I managed to mount the expo sway bar in its normal spot on the axle but with the end links attached to the outside of the ranger frame.

In the transmission mount crossmember, there are two spacers inside the U-fold of the "mount bar" that keep them properly positioned at that distance. As it turns out, I used those spacers from the donor truck along with a few wide washers and a long grade 8 bolt to mount to the outside of the ranger from in the elongated hole that already existed. Using the elongated hole made me nervous at first but I haven't had any slippage or anything. It actually works surprisingly well, though I may drill a single hole for it anyway. I am undecided.. okay, I am going to run outside and snap a quick shot so you can see what I ma talking about and then edit this post with the pics. It is nothing special, but something that may give you another angle for ideas.

Oh, and yes, the explorer front sway bar is a direct bolt on swap. I used donor with now issues what so ever.

**edit
Here are the pics I am talking about regarding the spacer and connection of the stock expo swaybar to the elongated hole on the outside of the ranger frame. No interference from exhaust piping or leaf springs.

I am sure the expo swaybar can be mounted in different ways as well .I have seen a guy use jeep end links on his and it mounted with hte end link pointing straight up into the bottom of the frame rail. I actually liked that idea so much that i bought jeep end links for myself but they were the wrong type (no part number was mentioned and the pic of the part was wrong). Either way though, the stock expo swaybar is a good working solution in its stock location for my SUA setup (stock for the expo's).

I've also heard of people using BII swaybars in the rear with success, for the added stiffness over the expo bars. I'd definitely recommend the expo front swaybar, being a bolt in swap, you can't go wrong for what it does to the ride quality. Helps compensate for the little extra front end weight as well.

Thanks for the info. I am going to hunt down a front Explorer sway bar for sure once the truck is up and running. I have seen a lot of guys use the Explorer rear sway bar and have even seen them mount it in both directions, pointed towards the front and pointed towards the back. But every time it has been with people that have used an Explorer rear end housing. The shock mounts are in different locations then the Ranger rear end and I don't know for sure if it will wrap around the passenger side shock. If you look back at my exhaust photos you will see where there Ranger sway bay has a sharp curve cut into it. The Explorer one may have this but I will need to look into it to be sure. I sure would like the added benefit of the larger sway bar.

Last edited:

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
oh right right, i didnt read much into this thread, i didnt have time to. In that case i imagine it was worth it haha. I can appreciate that you appreciate replacing worn components rather than replacing a vehicle. its such a waste to buy new, when old is fine and dandy with a little TLC :D
No problem, I had forgot about those early photos when I had planned on using the 98 Ranger for the swap. At that time I didn't plan on getting this involved with the whole thing.

Exploranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Jeff, the front sway bar on an Explorer has a different attachment to the frame than the Ranger sway bar. The Explorer mounts vertical on the crossmember and the Ranger mounts horizonal on the frame. Don't forget your Ranger has coil springs and the Explorer has a torsion bar front end. I'm going to try to use the Explorer bar on my coil spring Ranger, but I think I will have to make new mounts for the bar. I have a complete Explorer as a donor. My ranger is a 98 as well and my donor is a 97. I will keep you posted as I get a little farther in to my swap I just put the engine in this past weekend,I got at least a couple of weeks before I get to the suspension and rear axle.

Last edited:

oddball101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Exploranger, good catch. Mine being an Edge with the same front end, it didn't even click about the swaybar not being a stock swap for another ranger type.

On that note, anybody know if the BII swaybar swappers are managing to use the front as well as the rear? I hear they are really stout.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Jeff, the front sway bar on an Explorer has a different attachment to the frame than the Ranger sway bar. The Explorer mounts vertical on the crossmember and the Ranger mounts horizonal on the frame. Don't forget your Ranger has coil springs and the Explorer has a torsion bar front end. I'm going to try to use the Explorer bar on my coil spring Ranger, but I think I will have to make new mounts for the bar. I have a complete Explorer as a donor. My ranger is a 98 as well and my donor is a 97. I will keep you posted as I get a little farther in to my swap I just put the engine in this past weekend,I got at least a couple of weeks before I get to the suspension and rear axle.
I've got an Explorer front bar from a 98-01 Explorer to install on my 00 coil spring truck. It's not installed, but I did a mock up and I didn't see any issues with installing it. You may have to slide the sway bar brackets/bushings outboard a bit to match the Ranger frame, but everything else lines up nicely as far as I can tell. From what I've read, they used a different sway bar on the Explorers after 97, so you may need to find a newer sway bar if you run into issues. Either way, I'd try it, and see. You might be surprised how close they are.

Edit: It looks like the only differences in the 95-97 Explorer sway bars and the 98+ ones are the fact that the older bars were hollow with 3/16" wall thickness while the 98+ came with solid bars of the same diameter. The Explorer guys swap them out all the time, so it looks like you shouldn't have any trouble unless I missed something in my mock up.

Sorry for the thread jack!

Last edited:

Exploranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've got an Explorer front bar from a 98-01 Explorer to install on my 00 coil spring truck. It's not installed, but I did a mock up and I didn't see any issues with installing it. You may have to slide the sway bar brackets/bushings outboard a bit to match the Ranger frame, but everything else lines up nicely as far as I can tell. From what I've read, they used a different sway bar on the Explorers after 97, so you may need to find a newer sway bar if you run into issues. Either way, I'd try it, and see. You might be surprised how close they are.

Edit: It looks like the only differences in the 95-97 Explorer sway bars and the 98+ ones are the fact that the older bars were hollow with 3/16" wall thickness while the 98+ came with solid bars of the same diameter. The Explorer guys swap them out all the time, so it looks like you shouldn't have any trouble unless I missed something in my mock up.

Sorry for the thread jack!
The Explorer mount is about 2" wider than the Ranger mount, it will make the connector links set at an angle, and not in line A-arm. It may not be an issue I have not tried it yet. I was just making note of the differences.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
The Explorer mount is about 2" wider than the Ranger mount, it will make the connector links set at an angle, and not in line A-arm. It may not be an issue I have not tried it yet. I was just making note of the differences.
Thank you everyone for the info on the Explorer front sway bars. I was sitting back watching and reading to see where it went. I don't think it will work on my application because of the difference in width. I am running 275/55/17's up front and I am already slight short of full lock. The tires contact the Ranger front sway bar and they will make contact sooner with the added width of the Explorer sway bar.

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic
Could you check to see what pitch value it was?? Thats one of the last things i need to get mine street worthy

Sent from outer space.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals