• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2002 2wd 3.0 auto to manual swap help please

tattooedthomas117

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Does anybody have a thread link to build thread to a 3.0 auto to manual trans swap any knowledge or Insight would be greatly appreciated thank you all so much

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I did one in my 2000. Your situation should be very similar.
Obviously, you'll need a 3.0 manual trans and all of the associated bits (shifter, clutch, clutch master cylinder, pedals, manual trans cover for the steering column).

You 'll need to either replace the Auto trans ECU with one from a manual, or buy an aftermarket tuner to have the Auto trans stuff deleted (this can be tricky and may result in idle or driveability issues. Your results may vary).

If your truck has PATS, then you'll need to have it reprogrammed for the new ECU by the dealer, or you can have PATS deleted by the aftermarket tuner if you go that route. If you don't have PATS, ignore this paragraph.

Most automatic Rangers have the wiring for a clutch pedal position sensor under the dash already with a jumper installed. I wasn't so lucky, but my truck was the lowest of the base model trims. If your truck isn't a stripped out base model, you probably have the electrical connection you need under your dash already, but I'd double check before you buy anything because having that connection makes things MUCH easier.

96firephoenix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've got a 96 3.0/5sp that could be used for a donor truck... toasted engine.

bucko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'd also recommend, if at all possible, to have the doner truck at the location you plan to perform the swap at. Otherwise, I can assure you that you will make at least a half dozen trips to the boneyard to pick up the various items you missed when you thought you had it all.

The ECU mentioned: very important! You will have CEL codes set if you attempt to use an automatic CEL with the standard transmission setup.

And get a standard transmission ECU from the same year range as your current trucks year. Don't assume the pinout is the same for these ECU's for given years.

In most cases, its just plan easier to sell your automatic, and buy one with a manual transmission.

tattooedthomas117

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Okay cool thank you. So this is a list of everything I have
The manual trans
Dust shield
New flywheel
New clutch
New pressure plate new master and slave
All the hydro lines
Hurst billet short throw shifter
Clutch and brake pedal assembly
Cup holder shifter bezel
Sterring column bezel
New throw out bearing
Computer out of a 2001 3.0 ranger 5speed
I think I have everything to make the swap the last thing I'm searching for is a manual trans harness which I'm having very little luck finding. Is it possible to make the auto harness work or does any body have any leads on a 3.0 manual harness of a year that would be compatible I'm in dire need I have to get this truck up and running

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals