• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2006 XLT squeaks in idle

BangedUpTruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey TRS,

First post, Excited to join this community. Been perusing around and it looks very interesting/informative. On to my question:

The engine seems to emit a high pitched, fairly frequent (~2-3 times/second) squeak when it is idling. I say "seems to" because when I rev the engine the squeak goes away, but the increased volume of the engine could just be covering up the sound. However, I have revved the engine very slightly (so as to keep the engine noise to a minimum) in a quiet place, and the squeak disappears, so I am fairly confident this is happening only in idle. The squeak occurs regardless of whether or not the driveshaft is engaged.

I've been having this problem almost a year now. The squeak has increased in intensity and frequency over that time period. E.g. at first, the squeak only occurred very rarely, then a bit more often, then a bit more, until now; when it occurs at all times the engine is idling excepting the first five minutes or so after the vehicle has been started. It has also gotten louder over the past month or so.

At first, before I discovered the squeak was occurring in idle, I assumed it was happening all the time and the engine was just covering up the noise when it was revved. As a result, I have replaced the drive belt, the idler pulley, and the belt tensioner all in the last month. In addition, I noticed that the power steering pump pulley seemed to have some play when the engine was running (it was wobbling side to side), so I replaced the power steering pump and the pulley two weekends ago. There is no longer any play in the pulley, but the squeak is still happening!

So TRS, I am stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and keep on keepin on.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Take a crayon and draw an arrow on the belt pointing left. Then take the belt off and put it back on so the arrow points to the right. Re-evaluate concern.

If still present LIGHTLY spray a LITTLE WD-40 on the belt as the engine runs and see if it shuts up for a few seconds. If so inspect all pullies for any imperfections.

bucko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Good advice on switching belt direction adsm08!

I had a nagging squeal that would go away after a few minutes. After squrting wd-40 on every pulley/bearing area, I finally found it to be the idler pulley.

I now know why these, along with a belt tensioner pulley should always be inspected for replacement whenever the belt is replaced. A lowsy 15 bucks later, and no more squeal.

sblake01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Also check the camshaft position sensor/synchronizer. They're known to get squeaky and can sound like a belt/pulley. Take a piece of wood or something small enough to press lightly against it while it's running. If the sound changes or goes away, that's the problem.

Last edited:

BangedUpTruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys,

Thanks for your replies. We tried lubricating all pulleys and the belt itself with WD-40, and when that didn't work, we got suspicious and poked our heads in the engine compartment. As a result of that "closer inspection," we determined that the noise was coming from the back of the engine block so we got under the car and pinpointed it to the inside of the bell housing. Since I'm not in the business of trying to open up such complex apparati, I'm just going to take it into the shop and let them take a look at it. Thanks again!

sblake01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Before you do that, take a look at the camshaft synchronizer as I mentioned. That's also at the back of the engine but it's on top of the intake manifold. The sound it makes transfers throughout the engine compartment and can sound like it's coming from anywhere under there, including what you describe, because the sound is at the bottom of the shaft which rests inside of the engine. It's easy to check.

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I am having the very same issue but not with the same frequency. The sound can be heard, distinctly, while under the cab. It appears to be coming from the rear of the motor or bell housing.

I have a CMP on order and will be swapping that out as a maintenance concern (my '01 Edge has 126K miles on it).

On my truck, if you shift the transmission into Park, and let the truck idle for a minute or so, the chirp will go away. That is not a CMP, in my opinion. I will be tuned into this thread.

sethsbseries

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0 vulcan
Transmission
Manual
Camshaft position sensor and synchronizer, get the Motorcraft ones.

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Bronco638 said:
...That is not a CMP, in my opinion. I will be tuned into this thread.
I was wrong. It appears that the chirp/tick was the CMP after all (even though it sounded like it was coming from under the engine/transmission). My old CMP was not that bad, there was some axial play but no radial play (that I could detect). The engine also seems to run more smoothly now and no longer goes into "high idle" (1300+ RPM) on cold starts. This is pretty straight forward to do, see the Tech Library for necessary steps (and video). Getting access to the CMP took almost as long as replacing the unit (and cap).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals