• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Manual swap into 2002 sport trac

RangerRoad91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Gonna be doing a manual swap in my bro in laws sport trac. The donor vehicle is gonna be a 1997 explorer sport 4.0 OHV. What all do I need to know about taking in this project? Can the m5od out of this work? Also can the ECM be used. I really appreciate any help. Thank you. If you need any more info I will give it.

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
There will be a slight difference in the location of one of the bellhousing bolts between the two engines (SOHC vs. OHV), but generally shouldn't be an issue if it's not in place.
Pedals and that stuff I believe are the same for both.

I highly doubt you can use an OHV computer on a SOHC engine, but I've not researched it.

Hope that helps.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There will be a slight difference in the location of one of the bellhousing bolts between the two engines (SOHC vs. OHV), but generally shouldn't be an issue if it's not in place.
Pedals and that stuff I believe are the same for both.

I highly doubt you can use an OHV computer on a SOHC engine, but I've not researched it.

Hope that helps.
lots of people have used the ohv computer on the sohc engine, it gives it a lower redline.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
lots of people have used the ohv computer on the sohc engine, it gives it a lower redline.
Learn something new every day lol... I would've thought the engines being so different would've precluded it's use (or that if it did run, it'd be trouble-code-city).

There may still be some issues with it though in a state that has emissions testing (I know in Ca. a vehicle has to have the same model-year or later engine and emissions management for any kind of swap to be smog-legal).

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
You will have a lot of issues running the ecu. Yes, it will run the motor, but you will have pats to deal with, the trac has pats E, the explorer type B. Type B can be wired in fairly easy, but you will need yo change the ignition cylinder out, and thats providing you have the keys to the ex. Pedal assembly will be the same. Your best bet would be yo swap in the OHV engine as well, since the SOHC engine has the timing chain issue, or I'd highly suggest doing the timing chain cassette upgrade while swapping the trans...

SVT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals