• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 to 2.3 swap

mrgrant1982

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Whats up guys, new to the forum here.

Ive got a 1989 Ranger 2WD with the 2.9 auto in it and realized that after noticing some smoke and some investigation that doing another 2.9 is a waste of time. So after aquiring a 1990 Ranger 2WD 2.3 with a stickshift, I noticed the 89 is in overall better condition except for the engine and the 1990 is still in need of a rebuild while its a better motor and transmission.

Has anyone ever done this swap?

Last edited:

87prerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Honestly i think the 2.9 is worth the rebuild. With that rebuild put the 89 heads with felpro blue gaskets and take a throttle body off a 87 and you got a great 2.9

Otherwise the swap shouldnt be bad. Just the wiring harness would be the most difficult thing on it.i suggest getting a schematic. Be sure the ecu is also swapped. Ive seen people leave that out.

Protowrxs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 - 4.0 Waiting
Transmission
Manual
Looking at the same situation but with a 2.3 turbo as i have a coupe engines to choose from. Am very interested in what else is needed such as motor mounts, bell housing, clutch, and what else? I dont have a complete other vehicle to do any comparisons.

89ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
looking at replacing a 2.9 for the 3.0 because i don't want to rebuild the 2.9. would it bolt right in? To be honest, I would rebuild the 2.9 instead of switch to a 2.3. The best 2.9 I have driven was an 87 2wd 5 speed manual. That thing would run forever.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals