• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Looking at an 88, need advice.

Bluecrow

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hi, I'm looking for some advice. I found a guy selling an 88 4 cylinder 4x4 5speed. The story is that is has not run in over 5 years it just quit running one day. The guy selling it figured out that it was the ecm(or ecu) but it does have very good spark now, however the fuel went very bad. He said he flushed out the fuel system up to the filter and I could smell the gas was fresh and not varnish from the tank. My take is that even with fresh gas, that the tank and pump may be in bad shape as well as the fuel rail and injectors. My question is how bad do you think it would be to clean the fuel injectors and rail and possibly replace the tank and pump if need be? The pickup itself is in not to bad of shape and I could probably pick it up for 2 or 300 bux.

MrGiggles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The problem with a vehicle that has been sitting is that not only do you have to fix what caused if to be parked in the first place, but also the problems that were created from sitting.

Start with the basics, fuel, spark, and compression. I would start with compression.

You can either drop the tank or pull the bed to replace the pump.

But before all that, I would just give it a shot of ether and see if it tries to run. If it doesn't, you have other problems

Bluecrow

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Right, it has pretty much already been determined that it quit running because of the ECM went bad but that has recently been replaced and now has spark. The guy said he flushed the tank and lines up to the fuel filter but I don't know by what means he did that. He also said it would sputter on starter fluid. I'm hoping maybe clean injectors and fuel rail and FPR, I might get lucky.

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
Well here's the thing all he prolly did was pop off a fuel line or push the schrerador valve on the rail which I can't remember if those had that back then I have the same truck as your looking at I just wrecked mine slightly but I'll look... anyway he prolly just hit the key and crackerd the system some where and let it bleed but the injectors are prolly gumed up so use seafoam and a few gallons of fresh gas a new pump and see what happens for 300$ it's not bad at least it'll give ya something to do when your bored lol

Bluecrow

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, seems to me he at least got the old gas out of the tank. The fuel rail, FPR and injectors especially all still have old gas and sediment/varnish. I do have a line on a used fuel rail and injectors for a 2.3 ranger though. Checked out fuel tank and sending units and it seems they are pretty reasonably-priced, if it comes to that.

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
Yeah there ya go and 2.3s are stupid easy to work on

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals