• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bfg tire question...

mtnrgr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6" Skyjacker, with 1.5" coil spacers, custom radius arms, custom traction bars
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
Lord God is my guardian
Went with general grabber at2.

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
A brief look at BFG's website reveals that all-terrain KO's are not listed. I would assume that they developed the KO2's to replace them. That's a normal part of life. Manufacturers attempt to improve their products and phase out the old ones. Sometimes we agree with the new being better and sometimes we don't.

Not sure what bad reviews you have read. But, when considering consumer reviews, especially voluntary on-line reviews, I keep the following principles in mind.

1. What is the reviewer comparing this product to? Did they use it properly? Is he/she expecting an all-terrain tire to be equally suited to mud as compared to a mud terrain tire? maybe expecting a mud tire to deliver 80,000 miles of use? Sometimes the reviewer is expecting something unreasonable and that doesn't come out in the way they worded the review.

2. In general, people don't take the time to write a review or send feedback unless their experience is really negative. ie; they're really PO'd about it. This does 2 things.
  • In anger or frustration, they may exaggerate their claims to try and make sure everyone else feels the same way.
  • Also, this means the "data" is biased because even though there may be a higher number of satisfied people, a far fewer number of them took the time to write a review.

I bought a used set of BFG all-terrains for my truck. That decision was made partially due to finances. I got a set of 35's that are a couple years old, but only have about a hundred miles on them, for $600. I'm happy with that. I did read some reviews leading me to believe that as "all-terrains" they may not be extremely well suited to any one particular type of terrain. I can accept that. I plan on doing mostly trail riding, with some driving around the farm and occasionally going to Lowe's or Advance Auto or even commuting to work. So I will hit everything from interstate pavement to gravel, rocks, grass and mud.

But I can't keep 2 or 3 sets of wheels and tires handy all the time. Maybe for my next set, I'll have the money to get brand new Mud terrains, which I used to run on my F150 and enjoyed very much.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I have had 3 (4 if you count the worn out set I grabbed for free) sets of KO2s. I had nothing to complain about with them. The only set I managed to wear out lasted at least 50K miles, which is almost an 8 year old tire the way I drive. That's all the older I would want the tires to be, and honestly those ones were only replaced because they had 3 3/32nd and winter was coming.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Can't speak for the BFGs, never ran a set myself. Dad had had a set of the original all terrain ko on his Ranger for several years and been happy with them, but neither of us has used the new version.

You asked about other options. I've been running Falken Wildpeak AT2 since shortly after they came out. Worked great for me. When new they were more aggressive tread than the BFGs. The AT2 had a stripped lug that became another and tighter as they wrote down, getting close to needing tires on that truck for that very reason. The new AT3 version has a better lug design that retains its aggressiveness as it wears. Dad just put a set on his F250 an they look great. If I stock with an AT tires on the Ranger it'll probably be a new set of the Wildpeak AT3W. IIRC they run about 140 a tire at discount tire.

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
I dont know about the AT's, but the newer MT's have better road manners than the originals. They added some more siping to the lugs which helps in slick (icy) conditions. I had a set of original AT's on a older truck I used to have when I lived in Gunnison, CO (long winters, with heavy snow), and they worked well.

ridgerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Check out the General Grabber AT2 it is real similar to the old BFG AT and performs the same or better. I believe the sidewalls are only 2 ply though.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Several months ago I bought a new set of KO2's and though I've had BFG A/T's before
Both KO's and the even earlier ones these tires have somewhat better road manners.

In addition to the additional "siping" these tires have they have noticeably softer compound.

While I've always liked the All Terrains, I have always been aware of their shortcomings...

The older ones had a harder compound that was kinda poor at gripping wet pavement,

And even though they have is open and fairly aggressive tread pattern they are not
my idea of a "good choice" as a winter tire...

But the newer ones are far better on wet pavements than the old ones were
however that "wet grip" comes at a price if you drive aggressively on dry pavement

I find it fairly easy to push them past their grip limits, but bear in mind
they are not Michelin Pilot Super-sports, so that is not a serious complaint.

I also have no trouble understanding it is a Ford, not a Ferrari
and a "truck" not a "LeMans Prototype"... though sometimes my right foot forgets...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I wonder how guys with heavier trucks will like the softer compound. The last style had a mediocre reputation of not lasting long under heavier fullsize trucks.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Well, all I can say is time will tell

I will also say I'm shopping for 17" rims that I can use for some performance rubber...

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
The old ones IMO were the best AT tire ever made. On a small truck it is entirely possible to get 80k out of a set! I put around 30k on the last set I bought and they still had at least 75% tread left.

I got a couple free ones last year that went on my Ranger first, then on my Explorer. They were worn out when I got them, like 3/32 tread left. I put roughly 15k on them between the two trucks and they still had 2/32 tread when I finally swapped them out on Monday. I wanted to run them down to 0/32 but I'm taking a trip out of state in a month and wanted to run something a little better.

I will probably end up with a set of the new ones although I don't think they look nearly as cool as the old ones. Hope their wear life is as good.

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Have you looked at Procomp AT sport? I picked up a set for my 96 Dodge Cummins and so far like them. My girlfriend has been driving it since I bought them so I can't say a whole lot more. But they claim its a 60k mile tire.

Last edited:

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I ran Procomp MT tires for a while. They worked very well but at around 30K miles they started going out of round and continued to get worse. I suspect the belts were breaking. They were use only for off-road and even though the miles were low, they were getting old and had a rough life. They were replace with BFG MT tires and I like them better than the Procomps. They only have about 15K miles so far so I don't know about the durability.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I ran Procomp MT tires for a while. They worked very well but at around 30K miles they started going out of round and continued to get worse. I suspect the belts were breaking. They were use only for off-road and even though the miles were low, they were getting old and had a rough life. They were replace with BFG MT tires and I like them better than the Procomps. They only have about 15K miles so far so I don't know about the durability.
I had Rubicon BFG MT's on my F-150, I got like 40k out of them before a belt slipped. The other three still had really good tread. :bawling:

I got them from an overstock place for like $125 a tire, if I ever win the lottery or find them at a similar price again I would gladly go back to them. Freaking awesome tire. :icon_thumby:

For an AT my Cooper AT3's are great, I got kinda spoiled with my MT's though. :icon_twisted:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals