• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

V8 Conversion Headers

ATX

11/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Built not bought
So I'm about to buy a set of tri-y's for my 94 with aode . Anyone got pics of them with a big bellhousing. I'll get them in regardless. What kinda hp gains am I looking at swapping out the stock expo exhaust manifolds . What were the average gains with the tm's and will the longs give a lil more ?

recutright

Ford Technician
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Anyone use the Hedman 89500?

Attachments

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Anyone use the Hedman 89500?
I have heard the one that points straight down hits the axle beam... I don't remember if it is on the 4wd or 2wd for sure... I think 4wd. Search around and it should come up.

Whichever one doesn't get hit is supposed to work pretty good I guess.

I Used the 88400's (which is why I think it was the 4wds that has the problem) and for my 4wd they work pretty good. Kinda snug around the dipstick tube (they were intended for Falcons/Comets with the dipstick in the timing cover but with a plain OEM style steel dipstick tube it works good. The fancy Lokar one would wipe itself off.

recutright

Ford Technician
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
searched for a while and haven't seen it yet. im lookin to use them on a 93 2wd version. the one that points down has me a bit worried.

faststang90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i had long tubes on mine before and they was a pain to bolt up. I had to bolt up each tube to the head.

recutright

Ford Technician
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
ive seen those. heard lots of bad things bout them. their weak and thin, and they don't seal the ports very well and leak often. and you cant use the clamp more then once. I also heard that you need to weld a proper collector flange on to keep the collector from leaking. haven't heard anyone say good things bout them.
but ive never used them so I honestly cant say for sure.
just my 2cents

Vmaximus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Headers

When I built my first 3 V8 Rangers you could buy full length headers from Kaufman. They were awesome!!! I just started building another Ranger and found out Kaufman went out of business. Damn. Gonna try to find some different full length headers and see which ones work. I don't think there are that many out there now but gonna start doing research. Anybody find anything keep us posted. Been out of the loop for a few years and just now getting back in. Will try to post some pics in profile album later about my 93 Splash that was in the July 96 Sport Truck Magazine. It was tricked out with some good stuff including a 150hp shot of nitrous.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

pokey

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351 Windsor = 408"
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 351W in a 85 Ranger for drag racing only. Currently use Total Performance headers that (barely fit) inside the frame rail. Previously I had custom headers that went over the frame rail and then down just inside fender.

Anyone have anything new for headers for 351W?

Totalled

Law Enforcement
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
8 rabid gophers
Transmission
Automatic
I didn't use Headman headers on my build. I used explorer manifolds. First with the craptastic tubular early ones, then the later cast ones. I picked up noticeable power swapping to the later ones. The early ones flow that bad...

They fit with plate to stock V6 mounts, and fox body 5.0 mounts.

Attachments

tjm73

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ok. I'm a new guy here at TRS, but I have found a couple potential headers for I-Beam trucks. I did not see either of these listed in this thread. Thought I would share and see if anyone with experience has any input on feasibility of fitment for these.

First up is a set of block hugger headers that Speedway sells. The part number is 9300201S. They are 1 5/8" primary to a 2 1/2" collector. I found a few pictures of them on a British car/American V8 swap website. They look like they could work. Not sure if they might dump right onto the I-Beams. Currently priced around $270 bucks.

These look like they fit real tight to the block and may clear the steering shaft on the driver side and also the frame rail on the passenger side.

Next up are a set 351W swap headers that are also of the block hugging variety. But they differ from other block huggers in they merge into a flat collector configuration. They are also 1 5/8" primary to a 2 1/2" collector. They are made by Patriot and come in three varieties. Natural, painted and silver ceramic. The base part number is H8482 and I found them on Summit's website. Prices are currently about $275, $280 and $406 respectively.

These are the natural version and the picture shows you how they are constructed. The #4 primary sweeps back rather sharply which should provide steering shaft clearance. The passenger side sweeps back and down but my not clear the starter if not mini and may even have issue with a mini starter if used on a 302 instead of the 351W they were supposedly designed for. They almost appear to be of tri-y design. Though I doubt they could be considered true tri-y headers due to the short length.

Last edited:

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Anyone have any updates on header fitment from personal experience??

I'm currently gathering knowledge and parts to start my swap. I want it done by spring and I've got the free time and money finally, due to a factory closure. Just bought a decent little 87 single cab shortbed manual. A 30,000 mile 1992 Thunderbird 302 H.O. and AOD will be here tomorrow. I've also got the filter relocator and engine mount plates, but need to buy convertible mounts I think. Still in buying mode right now..

I'll be using an AOD for now, so the header fitment concerns me. So far it's looking like a toss-up between the 88400 and the tri-y's.

GB :)

Last edited:

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Tri-Y's have clearance problems usually when used with the 164 tooth bell housing. Can be bent for clearance.
Dave

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals