• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ignition switch problems

Turbo-T

Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3Turbo
Transmission
Manual
A couple of months ago I started having problems with my ignition switch. The engine would go dead while we were going down the road. I figured out by twisting the key slightly towards start, power would come back and we'd go on. I thought it needed to be adjusted.
Took the cover off and discovered it's not meant to be adjusted.
While i was studying it I noticed that the plastic half of the switch was loose. It was worn away where the metal tabs locked it down. Zip- Ties are a marvelous invention. Wrapped a long one around the column and it pulled the switch back together.:icon_bounceblue:

falcon57

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
sounds like the tumbler is shot. If it's anything like my gen 3 there's a rod that goes from behind the tumbler to a switch on the column. you don't want to mess around with this problem too long because having your contactors making intermittant connectons is like a a headlight problem.. if your not prepaired it could mean trouble! Find urself a new tumbler and key (called ignition tumbler). Get a thin needle nose pliers and a sturdy iron wire about 12- 16 inches at least as thick as a coat hanger but not larger than3/16 inch
with the battery disconnected and the plastic sheilds removed your going to pull the tumbler. Take a pliers turn the key with a pliers towards "start" and try to yank out the tumbler with the pliers. this may be easy or you may have to keep trying over and over untill the tumbler come out. do not for get this..... While twisting and pulling you have to shove your iron wire into a small orifice that releases the tiny spring latchet that holds the tumbler. this 1/4 inch tunnel is located in the zinc casting that holds the tumbler. if you get on your back under the steering column and look up at the casting you will see the hole where you will put the iron wire. Be patient and keep on yanking while trying to turn it to "start". SOMETIMES theres a "T" at the end of the tumbler that breaks when removing the tumbler.. Don't fret thats what the needle nose is for. pull out the "T" end -Pop in the new tumbler and problem solved! :) Tumblers cost about $20 at the zone.

Turbo-T

Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Nope. Tumbler is fine. The switch was coming apart. The plastic half was worn away where the little crimp tabs held it together.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals