• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Grinding with an M5OD

footee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Got me a grinding in gear. Not going into gear, but when trying to move. Pulled it then drained it. Was some shavings on the plug. Pulled the top cover off and looked around, don’t see any gears or syncros sheared or anything.

I bought the truck this way. Put in gear, let out the clutch, give a little gas, it’ll move until the torque overpowers and it grinds away. First or reverse, 2wd or 4hi.

I’ve never torn apart a tranny so I’ll take the learning experience but if I don’t need to, that’d be great too!

Anybody have some insight for me here?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If it is in the transmission I would think it would have to be on the input shaft, or the counter shaft, the way you describe it. Pretty much looking at the two gears closest to the front, one top, one bottom. If there isn't a problem there then it is likely not in the trans, but the t-case.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
See if 4th is quieter, 4th is 1:1 ratio so doesn't put stress on input gear or counter shaft, its "direct drive" to output shaft, so not a "gear"

footee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I’ll be damned! I decided to go ahead and pull the clutch off just to look it over because I’d hate to put it all back together and it end up being the clutch. Wouldn’t you know it, the splined part of the disc was turning on the springs! I’ve never seen or heard of that happening but I’m quite certain that’s the culprit. Not to mention the pilot bearings are nonexistent. The outer race is there but the needle bearings appear to have been awol for some time now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals