• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Engine Bucking Under Load, SOLVED

trader007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
1999 Ranger 4.0 OHV. 286,000 miles. Original engine, only did lower intake gaskets, and replaced every sensor once or twice throughout its life.

This one drove me nuts. I knew I had failing O2 sensors, which I originally did at about 140,000 miles. About 5 months ago the engine was bucking under load and running however it felt like on a given day. It drove me nuts, so I bought an OBDlink to watch what the various components were doing. I had a code for the O2 heater circuit, and also a bad sensor at the cat.

I had to take the Y pipe out (in garage, on the ground on my back, yuck), and the o2 sensors were seized in there solid. I put the Y pipe on the bench vise, and heated the sensor up cherry red. With a long breaker bar, the sensor moved initially but then it just snapped off.

I had to drill it out and re tap it. Same with the cat, I had to take that out also and retap the O2 sensor there. What a pain, but worth it. All 3 sensors replaced.

I didnt check the obd readings with the new sensors because it ran great. But during this last month, the problem came back! Bucking under load, running like shit. Fired but OBDlink again, and it said one of the o2 sensors wasnt working! Stuck at 1.28v, WTF?

At least it came out no problem this time. Glad i took the time to re tap it properly. And guess what? Thats when I noticed the problem. I originally had to cut the connector off the new O2 sensor, and crimp on my old one. I mixed the wires up! b I remember that night being a late one, and I was rushing to get it done. A black wire was right on a white wire. Idiot.

Fixed that, put the o2 sensor back in and bam, she fired right up, sensor working! :icon_hornsup:

I just drove for a half hour, zero codes! Motor runs like a sewing machine. Its really weird that this sensor wasnt working this whole time, because for the first few months the motor ran fine... But I did wonder why my mpgs were low. I was barely getting 16mpg... I just figured the engine was tired... I never done the heads on this thing, the valves cant be perfect anymore.

Anyway, cant wait to burn a tank of gas and see if I get my 20mpg like I used to! God I love my rusty old ranger. It just wont die.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Glad you found the problem and thanks for the update. I can relate to the "late night syndrome". Once I chased a no-start problem on my race truck [in the off season]. I had pulled and re-installed the motor and taped all the connectors. Because of the tape, I never checked if the connectors were making contact. After 6 months I finally found the problem. I sure had a sore ass and a kinked foot.....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals