• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Reviving an 87 2.0

pickardracing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Truck is an 87 2.0 Carbed manual trans 2.0.

So far, I've cleaned out the distributor cap, put in new plugs/wires, and fresh fuel.

The truck starts hard, but once it starts it idles pretty well. The issue comes when you try to give it gas, it dies at anything over about 2500RPM (guessing, as it doesn't have a tach).

Did my best to track down any vacuum leaks, addressed a couple possibilities, but didn't find anything huge. Looks like the fuel filter on the carb is relatively new.

I did partially put my hand over the passenger side hole in the carb, and with my hand in place, it mostly revs up like it should. Really pointing me to a fuel supply issue, but I'm not sure.

This particular setup is a bit before my time and I'm having a hard time figuring out what the issue is. Any help anyone can be would be great. Thanks!

Pics of offending carb:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/U5c8ttko5jryhBMK9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/dvEgaACcxLk5naqeA
https://photos.app.goo.gl/cyVX37qWZngQRpnX7
https://photos.app.goo.gl/EfpxDVc4kmDx5SxX9

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
One of my fav subjects, catalytic converter, did you check it? I could tell you stories.... But I won't

pickardracing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Definitely haven't checked anything regarding exhaust.

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Definitely haven't checked anything regarding exhaust.
One quick way to check the cat is to let it run for a few minutes, then look underneath at night or inside a garage with the lights out. If the cat is plugged, it will glow cherry red from not being able to get rid of the heat. If it’s bad enough, you may even see it during the daytime. Not very exact, I know (and may not be your problem), but it’s a place to start.

Have you done a pressure gauge test to check the fuel pump yet?

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
But not always, I had one that was cracked and the element turned sideways and is working like a check valve, it was fine at low RPMs on icreased RPMs, the exhaust pressure would move the broken element and it would block off completely!
One quick way to check the cat is to let it run for a few minutes, then look underneath at night or inside a garage with the lights out. If the cat is plugged, it will glow cherry red from not being able to get rid of the heat. If it’s bad enough, you may even see it during the daytime. Not very exact, I know (and may not be your problem), but it’s a place to start.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
The engine dying @2500+ would lead me to look at lack of fuel. After you run it to 2500 and it dies, before doing anything else, remove the float bowl cover and check the fuel level. If it is low, you are starving the engine for fuel. Plugged fuel filter, faulty pump, or junk in the tank that clogs the fuel pickup sock can all cause that, as can low fuel level and a failed sending unit hose connector between pump and body.
tom

pickardracing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm leaning towards fuel supply issues myself.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I would just say it seems like human nature, to look for and go for fixing the most complicated or most difficult instead of going with the simple things and simple fixes first. .
Was this truck sitting for many years?

unleaded/ methenol gas creates all kinds problems with carburetors, I know that from being in the boating community

pickardracing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It's been sitting for quite some time. 200 miles on it in the last 20 or so years.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals