• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bad Computer on 2000 2.5l???

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Guessing the truck is 2 hours from you because it broke down? Time to look at your costs versus keeping vs sending him the title and saying Hey you couldn't fix it now you own it

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
I doubt he can put a lien on your truck unless he has a work order to do the exact work he did, such as replace the computer. He may have 'per telcon 4/13/18' indicating you gave permission on 4/13/18, as a notation on the work order.
Other than that, he has no grounds to do the work as it was not authorized.

I don't know what he's charging for the computer, but they should be in the $120-150 range, ballpark. Got on for an EEC-V 97 6 3.8 for ~$130 re-man from Cardone via parts house.
Fixed my problem. Not fun to install, as the box was in a uncomfortable place to work.
You do not owe him anything in that he has failed at his profession. So, no labor, but the parts he did pay for. Get him to show you the invoice, and pay what he paid. No more. No 'retail' or 'suggested list' price, as it did not fix what he said it would, and you are no better off than before. He should not make money with failed diagnosis and no repair. You will have a discussion.
Once 'freed', get the truck out of there, perhaps take the time to drive to your new location, slowly, and find someone more local.
With EEC-V, or EEC-VI, dunno, you should be able to pinpoint misfire, fuel pressure, coolant temperature, requested rpm, developed rpm, cylinder contribution, long and short-term fuel trims, and just about everything that the machine is doing.
There is a 'data gathering' mode, Mode 6, which will let you look at misfire counts accumulated, per this startup, and ongoing to actually look at what each cylinder is doing.
If you do have a true misfire in #2, get back to the basics. Fuel, air, spark and compression are needed. Which one is going away?
Start from scratch.
tom

Rangerfan2.5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys I'll definitely ask to see the invoice and use that to talk him down if I can. It's sad this guy cant figure it out because he and his assistant are known to be very good mechanics in the area.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals