Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Help Forums - Engine & Transmission Forums > Forced Induction

Forced Induction This forum is for ALL Turbo and Supercharger topics. This includes the 2.3L Turbo topics. Forum sponsored by Banshee Supercharger

Old 06-12-2018, 09:41 PM   #1
cja21

Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
cja21 is on a distinguished road
Default Stock ECU turbo tune (Help needed)

Before I start, yes I know I'm doing something stupid that'll probably kill my engine, but I'm okay with that.

So, I'm doing a cheap turbo build on my 2000 Ranger 3.0 Flex, and need to figure out a tuning situation. I'm using the factory EEC-V ECU in the Ranger, and have read of quite a few 3.0 flex owners getting away with less than or equal to 5 lbs./boost without issue, which is what I planned to do. I've also read of upgraded MAFs also withstanding the challenge of them. I know the MAF can't detect boost per se, but I figure with a good tune, throttle position and live AFR could be adjusted to account for boost.

Now I know this is a bad idea, and I know I'm going to shorten the life or even grenade the motor, that's fine with me, I've been planning a 5.0 swap for next summer and only bought parts I know I can safely swap between the two engines, save for flanges and the like.

So my question is, Is there anyone in the Northeast, in or around Massachusetts who could tune/introduce me to a tuner who can tune my Ranger when it's running? I'm not going to have it on the road for at least another couple weeks, maybe a month, but I wanted to plan ahead and get some feedback from the forum. Thanks gang!
cja21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Premium Member.

5% Rock Auto Discount Code: 83E98FB3D89C78 Expires: June 26, 2018
Old Yesterday, 08:26 PM   #2
cja21

Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
cja21 is on a distinguished road

Okay, so I've been doing more research, I like the Quarterhorse chip for my ECU and it seems feasible and reasonable to install. I've read up on the TwEECer too, and I like that but it seems pricey. I've read that with some of these, I can go in and mess around with emissions settings.

Has anyone used either ECU setup and tuned it that can recommend one over another or weigh pros/cons? Also, could I screw with the ECU settings to make the tune accept everything as "street legal" and "passing emissions"? (MA law says that light-duty vehicles before 2004 don't have to pass a tailpipe sniff test, but do have to pass OBDII if they have it.)
cja21 is offline   Reply With Quote