• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

96 Ranger 2.3 - ignition switch problems...

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just bought a used 96 Ranger 2.3 4x4 about a week ago and the first problem that I had with it is that the ignition switch cylinder is so wore out that you can start the truck without the key.

I bought a fairly expensive one at NAPA Auto Parts and right out the box it works fine, everything lines up like its supposed to and the key comes out when it should, the problem started after I installed it.

With the switch in the RUN position it went right in like it was supposed to and after rotating the key back and forth it locked itself in, it starts the engine and then shuts it back off, but it will not rotate back far enough to get itself to the unlock position so that the key will come out.

I don't think I've done anything wrong with replacing it I think there is something else wrong further down the line and whatever the end of the lock rotates and moves is having a problem somewhere else, any suggestions?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just bought a used 96 Ranger 2.3 4x4 about a week ago and the first problem that I had with it is that the ignition switch cylinder is so wore out that you can start the truck without the key.

I bought a fairly expensive one at NAPA Auto Parts and right out the box it works fine, everything lines up like its supposed to and the key comes out when it should, the problem started after I installed it.

With the switch in the RUN position it went right in like it was supposed to and after rotating the key back and forth it locked itself in, it starts the engine and then shuts it back off, but it will not rotate back far enough to get itself to the unlock position so that the key will come out.

I don't think I've done anything wrong with replacing it I think there is something else wrong further down the line and whatever the end of the lock rotates and moves is having a problem somewhere else, any suggestions?
Never mind... things always start working again after you ask for help.

I forgot to mention that the little lever that you pull back on to release the key would barely move when you pulled on it, I think the switch has been worn out for so long that no one has used that lever in years and something was just stuck.

It works fine now, I'm glad that I didn't have to take the actuator out.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Glad you got it fixed

Not an uncommon issue with the Rangers ignition key switch

lvwill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
265/65/17
I bought my ranger at a police auction and it only came with a hand cut key for the ignition. Went to autozone to pick up locks for the doors and the ignition and noticed that the keys were both square. Had them bring out a bunch of sets of locks and actually found an ignition cylinder and door locks that take the same key! Sort of, the door key will start the truck but the key that came with the ignition cylinder won't unlock the doors.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals