Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Help Forums - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Ranger Axles

Ranger Axles Dana 28, Dana 35, Ford 7.5 & Ford 8.8

Old 06-14-2018, 10:21 AM   #1
Bgunner

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT Super Cab w/ 3.0L
I use this vehicle for: Daily Driver
My credo: If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
Bgunner is on a distinguished road
Default Silly Diff Cover Seal Question

I have a 94 Ranger with the 7.5" rear end in it and my question is kind of silly but I just want to be sure of this before I go and do it. My diff cover seal is starting to leak, just a little moisture on the bottom, but whom ever did the seal the last time used RTV sealer instead of the gasket. Can this be done again or is it recommended to use the gasket?

I have run across some rear ends that called for the RTV but none of those I was able to get a gasket for but this truck I can. So what is the recommended way of sealing it? Silly I know but best to be sure. Thanks
Bgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Premium Member.

5% Rock Auto Discount Code: 83E98FB3D89C78 Expires: June 26, 2018
Old 06-14-2018, 10:25 AM   #2
adsm08
Premium Member

Asteroids Champion

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Making money and being broke.
adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to adsm08

I never bother with a gasket.

The stupid things will always leak over time no matter what you do, because the housing and the cover don't expand at the same rate as they heat up.

Project: Amazing Grace

Project: Cash 'N Carry

Project: 12-Volt Sandwich, project finished

Project: Birthday Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
Hunger looks very much like evil from the wrong end of the cutlery.
I like it when things catch fire and explode, which means I do not have your best interests in mind.
adsm08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:03 AM   #3
Bgunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsm08 View Post
I never bother with a gasket.

The stupid things will always leak over time no matter what you do, because the housing and the cover don't expand at the same rate as they heat up.
OK great to know, I have RTV in my box already to no extra expense on me. I always buy high temp RTV so I can use it anywhere. Thanks for the quick response.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:05 PM   #4
85_Ranger4x4
December 2013 OTOTM

Vehicle Year: 1985
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: A weapon of massive consumption.
85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgunner View Post
OK great to know, I have RTV in my box already to no extra expense on me. I always buy high temp RTV so I can use it anywhere. Thanks for the quick response.
It isn't all the same stuff, I like Ultra Black or Gray for things that deal with oil.

Check out my Build Thread

Check out my NAIAS Ranger Trip

"I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas A. Edison.
85_Ranger4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:32 PM   #5
adsm08
Premium Member

Asteroids Champion

adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85_Ranger4x4 View Post
It isn't all the same stuff, I like Ultra Black or Gray for things that deal with oil.
Right. The high temp formula doesn't hold oil as well long term. Also there is a gear oil specific formula that I use on diffs.

Quote:
I like it when things catch fire and explode, which means I do not have your best interests in mind.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:51 PM   #6
Bgunner

Sounds like I should do some searching and reading then. Although I do know for a fact they have high temp in different colors. I have seen it both in black and the funky red-ish orange color.

EDIT: I just checked in the top of my box and I have the Ultra Black and high temp so I'll just use the Ultra Black then.

Last edited by Bgunner; 06-14-2018 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:04 PM   #7
Bgunner

Does all gear oil have friction modifiers? I thought is that what the additive for limited slips is for. The reason I'm asking is I looked up the Peratex gear oil RTV and it says that it is formulated to prevent break down due to friction modifiers. I should mention I do not have the LS in this axle.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:21 PM   #8
adsm08
Premium Member

Asteroids Champion

Friction modifier is for limited slip clutches, but it doesn't hurt anything to put it in an open rear end. Consequently most gear oils you can buy off the shelf have the stuff in it already.

Quote: