• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Steering Very Loose

carterw65

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi Folks,

I am new to the forum. Please be easy on me! :icon_thumby:

I have a 2001 Ranger Edge with a 3.0L. The steering is VERY loose and easy. (No jokes please) LOL

This isn't play in the steering, it is just loose and too easy to steer. I have replace upper ball joints on both sides and lower on the passenger side. I have a lower for the driver side, but haven't put it on yet. I also replaced the shocks on both sides.

I really don't think the problem lies in that one ball joint I haven't replaced yet, but I need some advice on where to start to look for problems.

Thanks!

Mickey Bitsko

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
live everyday like your gonna die tomorrow
Really don't know what your steering problem could be,and, I know your post isn't funny, but , loose and easy?....:icon_rofl:

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've replaced the rack in my 2000, but that was because it had sloppy play when pointed straight. You could rock the steering wheel left/right over an inch before it would move the wheels.

Inspect the Outer Tie Rod ends for play, it helps to have someone rock the steering while YOU feel/watch them. I do it with engine off, tires on the ground.

Here's the kicker: Once I replaced the rack, I had a popping feel every once in a while, usually just once per drive. I finally traced that down to the pinch bolt where the steering column meets the rack. You really have to reef that bolt down or there will be play in the spline joint. PITA to get to too.

Many alignment shops will inspect your front end components for wear at no charge, hoping you will pay them to fix the problem. They are also more expert than the average Joe (like me).

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Many alignment shops will inspect your front end components for wear at no charge, hoping you will pay them to fix the problem. They are also more expert than the average Joe (like me).
If you don't know what to look for, the above is the best advice. Let them find what's wrong, you replace the parts, and take it back to them for an alignment.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
After you replaced the upper ball joints (I am assuming you installed new arm assemblies) did you have it aligned? Caster being off can make the steering loose and wandery.

It is also possible to have worn components that make the wheel feel like it turns easy, but not like it has play.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals