• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

PLEASE HELP WITH COOLANT bubbling out of reservoir tank

eric

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hello ,

I have a 2001 ford ranger 2.3 liter 5 speed. 147k miles. Had t-stat put in 1 year ago. Engine coolant bubbles when truck is shut off from underneath reservoir cap. I had a new radiator and reservoir tank put in last week and both were leaking.

Yesterday, mechanic tested my t-stat. He heated it up and said it opened fine but used a heater and that may have been too much heat (dont know what he used). But said head gasket is not cracked as oil is not in reservoir tank nor is coolant in oil. he is convinced the tstat stays closed when truck is off and thus causing the puke tank to bubble out. I get heat fine and it heats up right away. I did notice after whatever he did yestrday my gas mileage going down.

Does this sound like a need a new t-stat? And if so why do we have to but the housing as well, cant FORD just sell a t-stat and reuse housing?

Thanks

jimmyess333

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's possible the housing is part of the thermostat on that model.
As for the coolant boiling I'd check the antifreeze with a tester to see if it's freeze/boiling points look good.
If the mixture is off too far either way it can cause problems in the cooling system.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
sounds like a bad radiator cap. don't worry about the t-stat being open when the truck is off. just that coolant is flowing through the radiator when the engine is hot.

how about the cooling fan? is that working ok?

warms up right away? i bet your mechanic didn't check if there is exhaust gases being pushed into the cooling system. you can have a blown head gasket that doesn't get oil into the coolant. or coolant into the oil

Duane867

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
/\

All to often I hear people spouting " thats not a blown head gasket there is no oil, or water mixing". Yet they will NOT do a compression/leak down test ? LOL !

With the loss of power here and recent cooling problems I would guess head gasket.....

Last edited:

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
yep, i see that all the time

till1422

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have the same issue on my 2000 ranger 3.0 and did the compression test and it all checked out fine.

Tractorman86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Did you do a compression test or a leak down test? there is a difference

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
Thermostate

some have a BLEED hole in them is mounted in the right "O'CLOCK" position?:icon_confused:

chetvaldes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Definitely do a combustion leak test and make sure the pressure cap is holding pressure, then go from there. I've had mysterious boil-overs (usually at higher altitudes of course) that were due to a defective pressure cap. And any time you see bubbles in the expansion tank, you need to a rule out combustion leak. Both are so easy to do, but often overlooked.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals