• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Torque converter clutch solenoid

rranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8 2bbl
Transmission
Automatic
Were on the 1985 ranger auto trans 4spd is the t/c clutch plate solenoid?
I heard on some cars its in the trans.
I want to test the solenoid, & it has to be removed to test.

Here is the tech. article on the part Im looking to find on my ranger:

The hydraulic lockup that occurs is not the same as the mechanical lockup that occurs in a torque converter equipped with a computer-controlled mechanical clutch. Because there is no mechanical connection between the impeller and turbine wheels, an ordinary torque converter will experience up to 10 percent slippage between the engine and transmission. This hurts fuel economy and performance, so the torque converters in most late-model vehicles have a computer-controlled pressure plate that locks up against the housing when the vehicle is about a certain speed and/or is in higher gears. A "computer-controlled solenoid" controls the flow of hydraulic pressure from the transmission to apply and release the pressure plate. When the plate is engaged, there is no slippage between the engine and transmission, and the torque converter acts like a solid member in the driveline. But when the brakes are applied or the vehicle is idling with the transmission in gear, the pressure plate is released so the torque converter can slip.

rranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8 2bbl
Transmission
Automatic
Im pretty shure its located on the valve body, under the trans. pan.
The t/c solenoid is on the other side of the valve body, its like a shift solenoid. Im trying to get some one's insight that has worked on ranger transmissions. My problem is that the car immidiatley dies when its shifted into any gear. First i thought its the t/c total failer, but I read the the t/c's solenoid controls the lock up, so now i want to test the solenoid but I know nothing about it really.

computer controled "t/c solenoid" lock-up
Q's:
1.correct Location?
2.correct ohm range?

Last edited:

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Yes you have to pull the pan to remove the solenoid, there will be a connector on the side of the transmission, you should be able to test it there.

igiveup

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hello

Your transmission is A4LD. Your TCC lockup is on the drivers side above the and a couple of inches in front of you shift linkage. Pain in the ass to unplug and a bigger pain in the ass to plug in. At least mine was. Its on the side of your valve body. I have been told by another member from another ford site it should be 25-40 ohms.

I hope this helps.

igiveup

rranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8 2bbl
Transmission
Automatic
You guy's are super freakin cool, I have had a hard time getting any information on the rangers a4ld tranmissions solenoid for t/cc lock up. The ohm range you gave allows me to test it, and thats cool, do you know wich plug it is there is a two prong, and there is a 4 prong plug? One plug is round and one is square, can i test the ohm range at the plug? Do I have to have the vehicle running to do the ohm range test on the solenoid?

Is there a way to test the brake switch that activates the t/cc lock up?

I replaced the torque converter last night, and it still dies when put into gear, as im pulling my hair out in flustration, a transmission shop owner tells me the solenoid or brake switch almost allways "go out" when the t/c does with my trucks symptoms, so i will test it I guess?

Last edited:

rranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8 2bbl
Transmission
Automatic
I did the t/c, so now the only thing that can still be locking it up is the tcc's plate. Its activated by the brake pedal to turn on and off, so either the brake switch is faulty , the wiring, or the solenoid itself. I was told its most likley the solenoid, and that they go bad befor the torque converter does, is this true for the ford ranger from 1985???
Dam Electronics!

rranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8 2bbl
Transmission
Automatic
So I replaced the tcc solenoid and now the truck goes into gear just fine, but now it has a huge hesitation before it goes into gear any thoughts on why it would hesitate before going into gear???

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals