• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TPMS and rim swap

Ears

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Cogito ergo Zoom!
I have been researching and trying to determine what I am in for if I swap rims on my 2010 ranger 4.0. I presently have the 15" steel wheels (with tpms). I would like to swap to the 16" Ranger/Explorer rims pictured below.

I understand the tpms is mounted with a "band" around the circumference of the rim. If so, is the tpms able to be swapped onto the replacement rims?

Secondly, How does one recalibrate the speedometer for the new diameter wheel/tire set-up?

thanks ever so much for any info provided...

Attachments

Last edited:

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes you can swap the tpms sensors. You will need new bands of the correct length for 16" wheels.

Ford can recalibrate your speedo if your tires are not unusually large.

I have 33's on mine and with the factory software, they could not input my tire size as it is not a listed option within their programmer. They Inputted the largest tire size possible, which was 31's I believe, and it's still off.

The only way to get it perfect would be to use an aftermarket programmer.

Ears

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Cogito ergo Zoom!
Yes you can swap the tpms sensors. You will need new bands of the correct length for 16" wheels.

Ford can recalibrate your speedo if your tires are not unusually large.
Excellent info... thanks.
I presume ford can supply the bands? I suspected a reprogramming was the method, rather than a gear change on a cable (like years ago :) )

I will be installing 235/75-16 Michelin LTX MS on the rims, as opposed to the 225/70-15 firestone destinations currently on the truck, an 8.8% difference (65.3mph when 60mph indicated)

Thanks for the info...

Last edited:

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Oh yeah ford will have the bands, but you'll Have to spec whatever vehicle has the the 16" bands as they will naturally want to lookup by application (make/model/year) and not actual size.

dragogt

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Discount tire will have them also, looks like a big hose clamp. IIRC it was like 5-10 bucks for it..

Ears

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Cogito ergo Zoom!
Oh yeah ford will have the bands, but you'll Have to spec whatever vehicle has the the 16" bands as they will naturally want to lookup by application (make/model/year) and not actual size.
Discount tire will have them also, looks like a big hose clamp. IIRC it was like 5-10 bucks for it..
excellent... thanks!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
There will not be any need to specify a vehicle. The bands for TPMS sensors are designated by the size of the wheel, not the vehicle they go to.

Any parts guy worth his pay will be able to grab what you need if you just go ask for 16" TPMS bands.

IIRC the part number is TPMS-6.

Speedo calibration is a software change, rather than a gear, but if you stick to a size that was available factory it is easy enough to do. It's even possible to get tires that are for the 16" rim, but the same overall diameter, thus not needing a speedo recalabration.

Muscleford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Ford wants a fortune for the bands. They are available after market for much less.

Ears

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Cogito ergo Zoom!
...It's even possible to get tires that are for the 16" rim, but the same overall diameter, thus not needing a speedo recalabration...
The main reason for the swap is to fill out the fender wells, hence the larger tires as well.

Thanks for confirming the info on the speedo.

To Muscleford, I bet you're right. I did see the bands are available from a host of suppliers, now that I know what to look for. $10.00 ea seems best buy yet, at discount parts houses.

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There will not be any need to specify a vehicle. The bands for TPMS sensors are designated by the size of the wheel, not the vehicle they go to.

Any parts guy worth his pay will be able to grab what you need if you just go ask for 16" TPMS bands.
"worth his pay" is the applicable sentiment here.

Most of the parts guys I ask for stuff from, it's "make/model/year" or else they stare blankly at you.

If you throw them a curve ball, have a request from off in left field, etc, you usually wind up explaining it to them, and they're all like, HUH? :icon_confused:

Where I live, unfortunately, experienced journeyman parts professionals who actually KNOW cars have been replaced by teenaged parts drones who only know what the computer tells them, once they input the make/model/year. :annoyed:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals