• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.8 Cylinder heads

Starlord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Rebuilding my 2.8, had a cracked cylinder head. Wondering if anyone knows a solid affordable source for reman cylinder heads. Found some from American Cylinder heads for 230 apiece. Wondering if anyone has experience with them, or if they have another source they would recommend. Also need the waterjackets that go between the block and the timing cover.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
You might be better off going to the bone yard and getting a couple heads to rebuild? There is a upgrade you need to do to improve circ in the heads it is just a matter of drilling a extral hole in each head. If your talking about the round bushings that line up the timing cover your on your own they are close to impossible to find. Maybe you can find a chunk of tubing the right size to fit tight into the block. I know others have had that issue as well.

Starlord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks Kim. I've considered doing the salvage yard idea, but with how prone these heads are to cracking I don't like the idea of putting used ones on. I am planning on doing the extra water passages though. I found the sleeves through my ford dealership. My dealership didn't have any but he was able to look up inventory from across the country, gave me a part number and a phone number for the dealership that had them. 8bucks plus shipping.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks Kim. I've considered doing the salvage yard idea, but with how prone these heads are to cracking I don't like the idea of putting used ones on. I am planning on doing the extra water passages though. I found the sleeves through my ford dealership. My dealership didn't have any but he was able to look up inventory from across the country, gave me a part number and a phone number for the dealership that had them. 8bucks plus shipping.
That part number could be useful for someone else in the future for sure what is it? I am not aware of craced heads as being a big issue with the 2.8 maybe it is a casting series that had the issue?

drsvox

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
230 sounds reasonable...I paid 225 each for mine; third-party order from a local machine shop and can't remember where he got them from. from what I understand they are increasingly hard to come by...I'd probably go ahead and order your quote, if you haven't already.

p.s. if the Ford dealer could hook you up with such an obscure part, surely they could hook you up with some reliable heads...? what's their price?

Last edited:

Starlord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
part # D2RY6178-B on the connector sleeves. Never thought of trying them from ford but that would certainly make sense. Thanks

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The 2.8 heads are no more prone to cracking than any normal head. The 2.9 is the one that had cracking issues. Even the extra cooling hole isn't needed in most areas - but it certainly doesn't hurt.

In my area is the cost for cleaning and machining alone is over $175 - so your quote is good to me.

Ford dealers (some, anyway) will look up a part and let you know where it is available because all the parts departments are interlinked by computer.

If you lived in California, I have a set of used heads and maybe you can find some on Craig's list.

Starlord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I appreciate all the replies, loving the site so far. Doing some digging around the scrapyards until I get my block back from the machine shop. If I don't find anything by the time I'm to that stage I'll go with new ones. Like Paul said after machining and cleaning and the price of heads it's probably worth it just to go new.

On another topic I found a rebuilt 2150 off a late 70's mustang. It's choke is operated by a stovepipe/electric/vacuum combo. Anyone know where I could route some hot air from for the stovepipe...(besides someone on this site hehe)

Starlord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Looks like Dorman part #55111 will create a stovepipe for me. Nothing like answering my own question, I should do more research before I ask.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Do you have pics of the carb? Does it have the 1.08 venturi stamped on the side of the float bowl in the raised circle? The preheater tube just needs to be capped with the electric choke.

Starlord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
It's a 1.08 venturi. Off of a 78 mustang II with a 2.8, at the shop right now so no I don't have the number. But the way I understand it its not a preheater but I could be wrong. Its just a loop that runs from the nipple under the air cleaner (in order to get clean air) runs down to the exhaust manifold where it is heated (if the engine is hot) and back up to the choke, which has a vacuum port. The hot air is pulled over the choke spring and when its hot it opens up. Much like a thermostat.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals