• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

M5OD R1 to M5OD R1HD best choice

Muslhound

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Here is what Ive got.
92 Ranger 4.0 with 4.56 gears, E locker in rear, track lock up front, 33 inch rubber. I use this truck in my guide service as my "go to" truck when things get western. I tow a trailer weighing around 1200lbs regularly.When it's not towing it's on gravel 90% of the time.

I need this truck to be dependable as possible.

My question is do I stab another M5OD R1 in her or should I go with the M5OD R1HD. It seems the jury is still out on whether the HD is the same or in fact better. I have a manual t-case so it appears as if I will need to build some brackets to accommodate the lack of mounting holes in the tail housing. Some say the tail housing is interchangeable and some say they are not. If the M5OD R1 and the R1HD are one in the same I just as well to stay with the R1 and not have to mess with the tail housing not having the shift bosses.

Thanks Don

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I recall reading somewhere the internal differences between the R1 and R1HD were very slight (the one different-located bellhousing bolt hole is more significant, and even that is basically a non-issue), though I can't recall exactly what the differences were (synchros? maybe someone else can elaborate).

I would look for another R1 if that saves you from having to mess with the the ext housing (though don't later R1HDs still have the threaded bosses because of the FX4/level II model's existence?)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals