• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

got the shakes

flyfisher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I've had a bit of a wobble issue when applying the brakes at higher speeds. I was due to replace the rear drums/shoes as well as the front pads, and thought more than likely that was the issue.

After replacing everything yesterday I am still getting a slight wobble in the peddle. The wheels aren't pulling to one side either. I'm stumped.

I installed all premium parts. I'm running 31x10.5 bfg at's.

Wheel balancing, alignment, tie-rods, bearing?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Wheel balance won't cause an issue only while braking.

Alignment won't cause a vibration period.

A bad tie-rod end could, but it's not that likely.

Now your post indicated that you did rear shoes, new drums, and slapped pads up front, which makes me think that you didn't have your warped rotors machined or replaced. Pads don't cause a vibration, warped rotors do. Get them cut, or replace them, never just slap pads on.

96firephoenix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
could also be a ball joint... I know that's where mine is coming from.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Is it a wobble only or do you feel a pulse in the pedal?
If there is a pulsing the rotors are warped so caliper is sliding in and out causing the wobble you feel and pulse.

You can usually check rotor just by jacking up wheel and spinning the tire, you can feel warp by the caliper movement or pads dragging more at one place on the rotation.

If it is only at high speed warping isn't too bad and rotors may be able to be "turned", made flat again, but check new replacement cost if rotor is not part of the hub, often less hassle to buy new than making two trips to drop off rotors and then picking them back up after turning.

Last edited:

flyfisher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4L V6
Transmission
Automatic
The front rotors were definitely warped. Threw some new ones on and it makes all the difference. I did inspect the tie-rods while I was in there and noticed the dust seal? on the passenger side had a small tear in it. It seems ok for now, but I suppose its there to keep the grease in and the dirt out and will need to be replaced at some point soon.

Thanks for the help everyone.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good work :icon_thumby:

Yes, the newer "lifetime" greased joints, like tie rod ends, are great until you get a tear in the seal, no way to add more grease.
On some you can drill and tap to add a zerk fitting but almost better to just replace a part if it isn't expensive.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals