• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1998 3.0 Smoking at idle

elarm1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hello friends, I've had an issue that is getting no better and I am looking at options on what I should do. I've had my Ranger for about a year, brought from the dead from an owner who didn't want to put any money into it. It runs ok with new tune up parts but has an exhaust leak on the passenger manifold that I keep putting off and a higher that I am use to idle (1000 rpm). No check engine lights and here's a list of parts replaced.
30k mile Copper plugs
Wires
PCV
DPFE
EGR Valve
No Vacuum leaks
I've seafoamed a couple of times in the past year and added Marvel Mystery SNAKE oil!
It does not do it all the time that I noticed but if sat ideling for a stop light, it will bellow smoke. I usually tap the gas and crop dust the road and it goes away. Other times I sit and Idle and I have no problems at all. I don't notice an oil loss and I get the oil changed every 3k. What are my options?
Pics for titties!

Attachments

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Fix exhaust leak, an exhaust manifold leak sucks IN air, O2 sensors measure Oxygen(air) levels in the exhaust, so an exhaust manifold leak will show higher "air" levels in that bank of the engine, high "air" level = Lean exhaust so computer will add more fuel to that bank.
Since it is a false Lean that bank will be running too rich, lower MPG and could cause a little smoke, not alot.

High idle, after engine is warmed up unplug the IAC(idle air control) valve, idle should drop down to 500rpm or engine may even stall, either is good it means IAC Valve is working and no vacuum leaks.
If idle stays higher than 700rpms then there is a problem.

At idle vacuum is high, valve guide seals keep oil from being sucked into intake during periods of high vacuum, common sign of worn valve guide seals is smoke at idle or smoke after decelerating(even higher vacuum) and then accelerating, big puff of blueish smoke.
PCV system helps prevent this, also external oil leaks, at idle pull out dipstick, put a small piece of paper over dipstick tube and see if you have suction or blow out

Last edited:

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
where is the smoke coming from??
under the hood, or out the exhaust pipe?
if under the hood its a leaky gasket,
if out the tail pipe it will be a leaky wallet.

just a few drops of oil on a hot exhaust manifold will create a lot of smoke.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals