• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

98 XLT stumping local mechanics! HELLLP!

CodySedlar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 98 ford ranger XLT V6 3.0 MANUAL with 217,500 miles on her! I bought the truck when I was 15 and I'm 27 now...this truck doesn't owe me anything! haha. I refuse to get rid of this truck....so much sentimental value!

A few months ago I took my truck on a 3 hour round trip...no big deal because I have nothing but confidence traveling in the old Danger Ranger. The next day I jumped in to drive down to my local park and it was shuttering real bad and not going over 35 MPH. I limped it over to my local mechanic and they scanned my CEL and it was reading cylinder 3 and 6 misfire. They changed the coil pack and plugs...that didn't fix it so they cleaned my MAF senseor and replaced an injector. No CEL and it rand a little better but not 100 %. A few days later the truck wouldn't start and run...it started and shook real bad and then died. I went out an hour later and it fired right up. A few days after that on my way hokme from work it revved real high and my heat (was on high) started coming out FULL BLAST and then the rev went down and so did the heat and the CEL popped on. I went back to my buddy and he popped the hood and one of my wired was arching to the manifold...he scanned the CEL and it was a lean bank code. I changed my wires the next day and the truck ran better but still not 100.

MAIN PROBLEMS
-sometimes starts rough and stalls
-loss of power in lower RPMs
-shutters when losing power
-my fuel gauge doesn't work
-revs high between shifts sometimes

Recent work done
-Replaced plugs
-Replaced injector
-Replaced coil pack
-Replaced plug wires
-Cleaned MAF sensor

the fuel pressure was at 58 pounds.
no obvious vacuum leaks

My wifes 5.4 f150 was having similar problems and it ended up being fuel pump.

should I just completely replace the MAF sensor?

Where do I go from here? Anyone have a similar problem...what were the fixes?

I need a starting point!

thanks in advance!

uksparky

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
At 217,500 miles the first thing i would do is replace the fuel pump, it must be almost worn out...then i would replace the 02 sensors....been there done it before, but not with ranger...

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals