• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

8.8 swap questions

rayfink

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Im now swaping the 8.8 out of a 91 explorer into a 86 bronco2 what is the best way to line it up and is the perch to perch distance the same

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Im now swaping the 8.8 out of a 91 explorer into a 86 bronco2 what is the best way to line it up and is the perch to perch distance the same
i'd hook everything up, including the driveshaft. get the pinion angle right and get the axle centered. then tack the leaf spring perches on, then unbolt everything and burn the perches on for good.

the EX axle is sprung under and your B2 is sprung over. so you need to grind off the old ones and get some new ones.

Sultan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Isn't the 8.8 from the Ex 1 inch wider? Does that affect how the B2 will track?

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
it may be, i dont remember. if it is, that's a half inch on both sides, not even noticeable. it would be fine. tons of guys on here have done the swap

rayfink

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I know the swap will work i was just wondering if there are any points to measure from to center the axle

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I know the swap will work i was just wondering if there are any points to measure from to center the axle
i think the easiest way would be to make the distance from the outside of the leaf spring perch to the brake drum the same on both sides. whatever that distance may be.

hook it all up and then measure both sides. if it's 6 inches on one side and 4 inches on the other, you know need to move the axle 1 inch so that both sides are 5 inches wide.

chvlfrk

December 2010 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
235/70R15 front / 275/60R15 rear
Umm.......

The EX axle is sprung under and your B2 is sprung over. so you need to grind off the old ones and get some new ones.
=============================
You don't have to remove the old perches, as the U-bolts will go outside of them, and not interfer at all. You WILL have to fabricate a upper shock mount crossmember or transfer the shock mounts on the axle tubes to the Explorer 8.8.

GL!

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
=============================
You don't have to remove the old perches, as the U-bolts will go outside of them, and not interfer at all. You WILL have to fabricate a upper shock mount crossmember or transfer the shock mounts on the axle tubes to the Explorer 8.8.

GL!
for aesthetic and functional (like while wheeling) purposes, you need to remove them.

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
for aesthetic and functional (like while wheeling) purposes, you need to remove them.
I left mine on. It doesn't hurt anything and makes a nice place to put a jack stand or floor jack, look closely:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals