• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

White lightning build

redneckfordf2502002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6 4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Ok so when we aren't working on the house, Bronco 2, the Harleys, or my dad's truck we work a bit on my 88 F150. I do most of the work myself but do get help from my brothers. So I love getting ideas and sharing about my truck.

First off info on the truck:
1988 Ford F150 4x4 302 C6 auto transmission long bed regular cab shift kit installed in the trans white with lund fender flares custom package sliding rear 2nd most fun truck to drive on our lot 1st being the 02 F250 then after my 88 the B2. The truck has 56000 harsh original miles on it.

The first owner bought the truck to tow a 4 horse trailer and ended up killing the transmission doing it with in a few years. They sold it to a dealership whom fixed the truck and used it for a repo truck. Was used like that till 07 or 08 when it was sold to a local mechanic and he was going to make it carbed. In 09 we moved up here and my dad bought it for a 14th birthday present. The dizzy and intake were all missing.
I played with it a bit and got it running recently. We originally paid $400 for it.
What I have done to the truck:
installed 89 f150 302 intake free
installed 89 F150 302 dizzy free
installed bug deflector (different then what was on it) $20
installed sliding rear and front windshield $250 installed back window has slight tint
installed door locks and new key cylinder $50
installed new used front bumper without trim free
added fender flares worked them off
painted flares and tailgate letters $5 rattle can job black
installed new used fuel tanks and fuel pumps free
cleaned it all up free
fixed the bed mounting Free
installed TFI/control module $50 at autozone
installed fuel selector valve $3 at junkyard
installed headlights $20
installed 80 amp alternator off 89 F350 Free
fixed some wiring free
set timing at 11* BTDC
replaced all the relays $30 at autozone
fixed gooseneck hitch all though I won't be using it free
installed an F-150 emblem free
installed antenna original free
3 spare wheels matching $30
plugs, wires, and coil all new $50
replaced the fuel rail with a stainless steel one $10 (our 02 has the same upgrade)
probably more I am forgetting but will post pics soon.
Trav

redneckfordf2502002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6 4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
ok so now my plans for the truck:
Paint it black and white (black to the body line with two black stripes 1 inch above each other above the black below 1inch tall)
fixed speedometer issue and oil pressure gauge issue (speedometer gear in BW 1356 t-case is gone)
do custom or better interior and ditch the vinyl seat (stay bench)
polish up the diamond plate bed rails
paint rear bumper black or silver haven't decided need to straighten it still.
I currently have 3.55LS front and rear end plan to put warn hubs in it.
Get some 33s and a leveling kit.
6 liter tune up
3g alternator swap
clear headlight mod
better mirrors of the same type
new vinyl floors
por 15 the frame
Harley themed interior
pinstripe the bug deflector with Harley emblems on it.
cowl hood possibly
Cb radio
complete awesome stereo system
lots and lots of KC lights
9007 headlight mod
smoke the tail lights
custom third brake light and add it.
sport custom 70s embelms
tint all the windows
white face gauges
custom tonna cover with h-d emblem and eagle
rear window graphic lighting h-d
custom cold air intake
full led light swap (a guys is selling retrofitted ones now on FSB forum.)
and probably a lot more I am missing
my plan is to restomod it. So restore it but modify it to where I like it. This truck won't be doing heavy hauling it will only be towing my bike and some small loads mostly a DD and doing some mudding once in a while maybe pull the b2 out of being stuck sometimes.
Trav

redneckfordf2502002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6 4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Some of the work already done to her is a headlight relay (which stock vs it is way better)
chrome tip with a 2 1/4 exhaust walker or similar muffler no cat sounds like a pissed off hot rod love the sound but once it falls off going to dual thrush tubes.
Sylvania super whites or something like that (do this to all my trucks that have non-sealed beams great bulbs.)
ok a bit more done yesterday polished up my chrome tip and took her for a drive. Drove great tons of power but the heater core is shot. I got it up to about 45MPH before deciding I had to slow down as I don't want to ruin her.
Just to give you guys a before and after shot soon enough I will fill in the blanks not to many pics throughout the process though.
Trav
Before when I had first got her to my place:

And how it looks as of a few days ago. Still got some more work to do.

redneckfordf2502002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6 4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Well all hell broke loose yesterday. Took her for a drive got a flat. Ran home to go get my spare (just down the road) got it checked the fluids all but the Tranny fluid. Got on the highways and biways trans wouldn't shift out of 1st had my dad (whom was driving since no speedometer) pull over checked the fluid low. So I had my dad hitch a ride and go get trans fluid. Got trans fluid poured it in put in reverse then pulled forward a few feet and she stalled out. Started her back up and she had a knocking noise tried finding it then it got louder and right before she died it sounded like it threw a rod. So had my dad go get the 02 F250 to tow me home stopped 3/4s of the way home and underneath me was a puddle of oil. Not sure if I cracked the block or not but definatly not the 18th birthday present (turn 18 jan 30) I was expecting. So she is back home still have to find out what went wrong and all and hopefully can fix her up cheap and easy. She has way to much sentimental value to sell. Might have to get the old B2 up and running to drive around in till then.
Trav

redneckfordf2502002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6 4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Ok so I may have found another engine to go into my baby to get her back on the road. $400 for engine, t-case, transmission (e4od), PCM, and wiring harness. All out of a 94 full size bronco and still 302 but roller cam. Can't use anything really but the engine but at the price going to hopefully grab it and I believe the t-case is the same so it may have everything I need. I wanted to go roller cam and have a MAF conversion sooner or later but was hoping not this soon. My plan is if I get this engine drop it in my 88 leave it for a while till I get money saved up rebuild it and my c6 trans right and do a MAF conversion.

Anyways yesterday my dad picked up a free CB cobra 18series radio that fits in my cb mount going to hook up as soon as I get an original style antenna to hook up so it looks stock. Also got some 70s knobs for the headlight (black and chrome mixed) and wiper switch. Looks great on there.

Figured I would update by putting all the pics in now since I can't do anything with her:
When I use to have a ladder rack on her (was going to go work truck look but afterwards changed my mind oh ya and this is when my dad left the t-case in neutral and it rolled into the pit luckly nothing hurt but crushed my fuel tank and put a dent in the bed (which I can get out):

me when I had long hair with my old girl and flat tires (before I got new used ones)

My baby with her big sister the 02 F250 V10 crew cab sorry about the dog in the pic he loves to sleep right there:

the only thing she will ever really see in her bed other then maybe small loads of scrap or parts for the other trucks or her:

pic of her with her big sister and her other sister that we no longer have the spoiler cab fairing deal is not going on there anymore:

redneckfordf2502002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6 4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
part 2 of the pics:
after putting the original radio antenna put back on going to do one of these on the drivers side for Cb:

With her sister again 86 F150 which we no longer have (the stance I want on the 86 leveling kit but instead of 31s I want 33s) also after fixing the headlight:

Walker muffler which makes it sound like a pissed off hot rod:icon_hornsup:
New bug deflector installed hated the old man look this one is more aerodynamic looking:

top one my old bug deflector:

hate a 87-91 without a bug deflector:

new bug deflector about 2 inches lower then the old one (better so I can see over the hood:

The 87-91 line up my 88 F150 with red flares (gone now the flares that is), my dad's replacement for the 86 F150 a 89 F250 4x4 351 flatbed, and my brothers 89 F350 2wd 460 crew cab going to be a 4x4 with D50 front:

my brothers and dad with the 89 F250 and my 88 F150 (blue shirt is the Bronco 2 brother), other one is the 89 F350, and my dad
Bronco 2 in the background before paint:

After painting the tailgate letters black didn't get the tape off yet:

redneckfordf2502002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6 4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Well went to check out this 302 bronco. No way in hell am I dropping that thing in my truck I would be better off letting my truck roll to and from work. That thing is trashed.
So here is what I am looking at now.
Found a 351W in a 87-91 truck. probably going to get that rebuild it and put a trans filter and modulator on my truck. Should be interesting now going to have a 351W C6. Still pricing things out but hopefully the engine will be their when I get the money.
Trav

redneckfordf2502002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6 4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Well few updates since last one:
going to get a 302 from my buddy for $100 running supposedly which I don't see a reason it won't. I am going to replace a few parts to be safe and call it good. Going to drop it in run around on it and slowly build my 302 to be sweet. Also getting a brush guard from my buddy for $25 like my dad's 89 F250 and going to mount some lights. Also going to put a roll bar in the bed with a custom tonna cover like I said before (when I get all these) and a small truck box in the bed to carry some of my junk. May be getting another truck for my other brother too so should be interesting.
Updates I have done already since last time: 70s chrome knobs, CB radio I got, traded my brother the door knobs now he has black ones and I have chrome ones for his B2.
Here are pics of what I have done minus the door locks:
Trav

Our 02 pulling me home:

where the rod went through:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals