• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Clutch casues RFI

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Do you have to go to hab before you can go to rehab?

Anyway, I checked some of the details today. It does do it with the engine off. The brakes do not make it happen, and it does not affect the USB input, only the radio, so it looks like I have a circuitry issue with the antenna.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Help, the starter cable on my car is leaking anti-freeze. :D

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Help, the starter cable on my car is leaking anti-freeze. :D
I have seen PCMS leaking coolant, fuel, ATF, or motor oil into the passenger compartment all over the carpet.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
So get this...

When I put the clutch in, even just a little bit, my radio goes from crystal clear to a wash of static. My clutch switch is not hooked up, it's bypassed. Same with the NSS switch on the side of the trans, which shouldn't matter anyway, since the clutch pedal is the only thing that makes a difference.

I have no electronics hooked up to the pedal at all.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm kinda stumped.
WAG here. What happens if you attach a grounded jumper lead to the antenna ground shield?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Do you have to go to hab before you can go to rehab?
Only in Canada...Since the Montreal Canadians are aka Les Habs...but due to hockey season being a few months off (when I entered rehab) they let me forgo that part of the treatment...

Anyway, I checked some of the details today. It does do it with the engine off. The brakes do not make it happen, and it does not affect the USB input, only the radio, so it looks like I have a circuitry issue with the antenna.
Aha~! I knew it had something to do with your truck specifically since mine wasn't doing it at all...:icon_twisted:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

Inbred Redneck

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'87
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well, since this thread ain't even a year old and I'm now showin' the same symptom, just wonderin' there was a definitive solution to the problem?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I never did figure it out. The problem comes and goes, it seems to be related to the weather more than anything. Now that I think about it though, I have been through a few weather cycles recently that should have made it act up but didn't, and the only thing I can think of that I changed was I replaced my cab mounts. Odd as it may sound that could potentially have been the issue.

Assume the problem was grounding. The cab mounts take some bump out of the ride, but they also help keep the cab in it's proper shape. Due to the design of the pedal bracket pushing the clutch down puts stress on the structure of the cab, namely the firewall. If the bushings were gone, and mine have been for almost 3 years, and hitting the clutch was flexing the structure of the cab just right it could have exasperated a weak ground enough to let a little noise into the radio system.

slipshift

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Isn't the clutch switch hooked to the cruise control? Push pedal, complete a circuit to cut the cruise, similar to the brake switch. Do you have electronic cruise control? Just throwing out an idea.

Jim

Inbred Redneck

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'87
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks. Guess I'll have to live with the problem. Hell, maybe I'll just check some of the grounds, since there's been a problem with static on AM since I got the truck a couple of years ago.

Inbred Redneck

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'87
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Oops, slipshift, I was replying to adsm08 just while you were posting. I don't know about any other '87, but there's no CC on mine.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Isn't the clutch switch hooked to the cruise control? Push pedal, complete a circuit to cut the cruise, similar to the brake switch. Do you have electronic cruise control? Just throwing out an idea.

Jim
It is, but mine isn't, which is why I was a bit befuddled. Being that I am lazy and frequently tinker in a manner that has me starting and stopping the engine a lot I have the clutch switch bypassed so I can just reach in and hit the key.

Thanks. Guess I'll have to live with the problem. Hell, maybe I'll just check some of the grounds, since there's been a problem with static on AM since I got the truck a couple of years ago.
If you have issues on the AM bands try replacing the capacitor that is bolted to the coil. I have had issues looking them up by a Ranger going back that far recently, but the 05+ F-150 5.4L unit fits and works correctly, and they are easier to look up.

Inbred Redneck

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'87
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'll have to see about that capacitor. As for the clutch safety switch, mine's no longer hooked up. I'd much rather be able to crawl over out of traffic on the starter and in gear when I can't start a vehicle and I'm in the way of everybody else.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
I never did figure it out. The problem comes and goes, it seems to be related to the weather more than anything. Now that I think about it though, I have been through a few weather cycles recently that should have made it act up but didn't, and the only thing I can think of that I changed was I replaced my cab mounts. Odd as it may sound that could potentially have been the issue.

Assume the problem was grounding. The cab mounts take some bump out of the ride, but they also help keep the cab in it's proper shape. Due to the design of the pedal bracket pushing the clutch down puts stress on the structure of the cab, namely the firewall. If the bushings were gone, and mine have been for almost 3 years, and hitting the clutch was flexing the structure of the cab just right it could have exasperated a weak ground enough to let a little noise into the radio system.

that part makes you sound like a self-proclaimed effin genious, are you sure you're not a liberal?

:annoyed:

Perry

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals