• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 ohv to sohc swap with m5od-r1

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
So I have a big oil leak out of the Rms only about 7k on it. Figured I got to pull the motor anyways why not get more power. What would be involved with a 4.0 sohc swap using my ohv tranny?

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
big chunk of wiring harness, ecu. engine, maybe every thing under the hood and some under dash things

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i know that they have the same bolt pattern. well, the sohc has 2 more, but they bolt together fine, and i know that you can run the sohc on the ohv computer, the only problems is the power steering, you gotta have a new end put on. read racin n drummins, b2 build thread. he goes over it.

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Wow so you guys are telling me the sohc will run on an ohv computer with no check engine light and no problem? That cmp sensor no being plugged in won't throw codes? And it won't run like a dog? How in the hell does a obd 1 computer run an advanced obd2 system!? That's pretty awesome I'm really considering the swap now.

My ohv rattles like crazy with that marbling noise has low oil pressure and has a weird valve train noise over 2500k (if I let off the throttle or lightly apply it).

I'd really like that 50 hp and better mpg too, IF it'll run on the ohv computer. I want Ron to verify that[emoji23]. He's the computer/wiring master.

So do I use a sohc clutch/flywheel with the m5od r1 I got (the non HD) or do I use the ohv flywheel/clutch?

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Considering also I have obd 2 I could program the computer right? I just don't want to swap a sohc PCM in because of the dash wiring and pats to deal with

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i havent done this swap myself but i have read several build threads, where they have used the sohc with a ohv computer, specifically "racin n' drummin" he has the first build thread that i read where someone swapped a sohc in. like i said he goes over the whole process in his build thread.

from what i remember reading the only thing it limits is your redline, because the ohv has a lower redline.

also, i dont remember if pats is a problem with later year engines. but i seem to remember reading that using a ohv computer eliminates that problem.

i have though long and hard about a sohc swap, but seeing as tho 5.0 explorers are a grand and a sohc in my area is a grand its a toss up. but the sohc has got basically the same hp of the 5.0 just a little less torque.

as far as obd1 running an obd2 system... the engines are the same asside from one being sohc and one ohv, thats why its still a plug and play swap, there was one thing i remember reading about that was a concern, because the ohv does not have it and the sohc does have it, but no body ever ran into any problems. so as long as your sohc sensors are good then there will be no check engine light.

theres some really good info on this on the explorer forums.

i assume since you can use the transmission on iether engine to go with the transmission parts for your engine, so sohc parts.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
The SOHC has the same bell pattern....except the upper right hand hole is moved down 2" (timing chain interference)....the M5OD found in the SOHC will have both the OHV and SOHC pattern.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
If you need a SOHC compatible M5OD housing let me know

trader007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
why on earth would you get rid of the indestructible OHV motor?!??!?

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Because I like the better hp/torque and don't really mind swapping motors, but to clarify use the sohc clutch and flywheel?

Cool thing too I just passed emissions so I got two years to figure out any check engine lights if need be

Last edited:

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Well rockauto shows them as having the same clutch and flywheel on a 98 explorer. I got a 98 ohv, so I'll just use my old clutch/flywheel, only got 5k on it and it's luk. That's pretty awesome [emoji3]

When getting a sohc at the jy what specifically should I look for? When I have the motor on the stand I'm gonna pull the timing cover and inspect everything what exactly should I be looking for with the chain?

I know to smell the oil and pull both cam covers and look for shavings/sludge. Also gonna cut the oil filter and see what's up.

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
i havent done this swap myself but i have read several build threads, where they have used the sohc with a ohv computer, specifically "racin n' drummin" he has the first build thread that i read where someone swapped a sohc in. like i said he goes over the whole process in his build thread.

from what i remember reading the only thing it limits is your redline, because the ohv has a lower redline.

also, i dont remember if pats is a problem with later year engines. but i seem to remember reading that using a ohv computer eliminates that problem.

i have though long and hard about a sohc swap, but seeing as tho 5.0 explorers are a grand and a sohc in my area is a grand its a toss up. but the sohc has got basically the same hp of the 5.0 just a little less torque.

as far as obd1 running an obd2 system... the engines are the same asside from one being sohc and one ohv, thats why its still a plug and play swap, there was one thing i remember reading about that was a concern, because the ohv does not have it and the sohc does have it, but no body ever ran into any problems. so as long as your sohc sensors are good then there will be no check engine light.

theres some really good info on this on the explorer forums.

i assume since you can use the transmission on iether engine to go with the transmission parts for your engine, so sohc parts.

Do you have the link to his thread? I searched on google and couldn't find anything

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Last edited:

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Found his thread: http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35258

I have full faith my obd 2 1998 ohv ecu will run the sohc no problem. And since I got obd2 I can just get a tuner to change the redline.
I'm excited! This is gonna be an awesome swap.[emoji3][emoji106]
that would be the thread.

a lot of people like to bitch about the sohc timing chain tensioner (part that lets go), but ive seen a lot of them go to 250k miles on the allegedly bad part, while you have the sohc out, i would suggest replacing all the timing chain parts. all of the timing tensioners that are in auto parts store now are an improved part. so it shouldnt fail any time soon. take a read here.

http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-0-sohc-4-0-ohv-tech/107857-what-failed-chain-tensioner-does.html

as far as checking the engine at the junkyard i would try and see if i could turn it over. if theres no contaminates in the filter you should be alright.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals