• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1994 B3000 3.0l V6 water in oil, need help

InTitusville

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1994 Mazda B3000 SE with a 3.0l V6. I was driving today and everything seemed fine then the engine bogged down then stalled. I could get it started so I check the fluids and the oil is milky. From the past in most cases milky oil is from a bad intake gasket or not as often a head gasket. Tomorrow I will try checking compression. Does the 3.0l V6 have one cam or 2? Is there a 1994, 3.0l V6 engine break down (parts explosion) diagram someplace?

Now the questions...

1. If all cylinders have decent compression do I assume the problem is the intake gaskets?
2. If 1 cylinder is bad, what would that be?
3. If more than one cylinder is bad do I assume head gasket and if head gasket and I have it that far apart do I do both sides.
4. Now if any of the above is bad any where I can look to see how to take the engine apart?
5. If non of the above, what do I do????

97mazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Coolant in the oil is when there is a sever leak in cooling system from blown head gasket,
<br />
Best bet is to pull both heads and have them tested(pressure test) and surfaced(made flat) <br />
Get a head gasket kit/set and new head bolts(can't reuse this type of head bolt)<br />
<br />
<br />
There are a few ways to confirm a cylinder leak<br />
Block test: this is a chemical test to determine if there is "exhaust" gas mixed with the coolant in the radiator, you can buy a kit for this test or call a shop to see how much they would charge for this test.<br />
<br />
If you trust your nose, open rad cap and smell, if it smells like exhaust then confirmed :) <br />
<br />
Pull all the spark plugs and inspect the tips, super clean tip means it was being "steam cleaned" by coolant(which is what makes the white smoke)<br />
<br />
Glove test: <br />
cold engine<br />
remove rad cap and overflow hose<br />
disconnect coil wire, you want a no start<br />
<br />
Place latex glove over rad cap opening, use rubber band to seal it tight to rad<br />
Block overflow tube, vacuum cap from upper intake works or if you have some one else to crank engine use your finger to block opening.<br />
<br />
Crank engine<br />
If glove bounces then you have a leak from a cylinder into cooling system, confirmed.<br />
If you want to find out which cylinder, remove 1 spark plug at a time and crank engine, when glove stops bouncing that last spark plug removed was in the leaking cylinder.<br />
Put spark plug back in to confirm.<br />
<br />
<br />
There are "head gasket sealer" products available, these are temporary fixes at best, but can work, but not on 100% of the leaks, so IMO best to just get the problem fixed, but if it would be a better time in a month or two then spending the $25-$40 on the "sealer" might be something to consider.<br />
No, there is no "best one", they all pretty much work the same way.<br />
And no, they won't clog up the rad or heater core, that is not how they work.<br/>

97mazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Hope this helps ya

InTitusville

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
I saw the exact reply you posted on another similar post and it was a great help for ideas. I will take that in mind when I take the engine apart. I knew someone that had a late 1990s chevy car that had milky oil and it was the intake gasket. I have a 1990 Mustang 2.3L 4cyl engine and the blew the head gasket 2 times so I brought he head to be rebuilt and was told there were at least 7 cracks, found a used head at a junkyard had the head rebuilt and so far so good.

Now, on this B3000 3.0L V6 engine, does it have 1 or 2 cams and is there some sort of illustrated engine diagram for this engine so I can have an idea what I'm working with?

Any tips on how to take this engine apart. I've rebuilt 1966, 1968 and 1990 Mustangs engines but would like a little more info on this engine before I go and pull it apart.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

InTitusville

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the links, they will help but I was looking for a parts diagram / parts explosion and/or illustrated engine diagram like this:

Attachments

InTitusville

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
That link was the original post I found doing searches and how I found this site. I did this post because I have milky oil and the other post was white smoke and not milky oil. The engine diagrams I posted are a help but i can't find any step-by-step directions or video on how to take the engine apart and put it back together but I guess it's about the same as any other engine and you did give a link to the torque specs. I plan to check the compression shortly.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Its been a long time since I've rebuilt an engine. What I've noticed that has changed is torque to yield head bolts. I think but don't know for sure that is the main difference. I'd purchase a manual for peace of mind.

InTitusville

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
I didn't have much time but I was able to get 4 spark plugs out easily (2 in the back on the drives side and 2 in the front on the other side). I check these 4 and I get between 100 to 120. I assume it's not a blow-through between cylinders. My guess is still with the intake... Anyone with my on that theory? I really don't wan to take the heads off but it looks like in any case I will need to take the intake off. This may take a while since I have MS and can only do so much. I will post pictures as I go along since it's had to find any sort of instructions on this.

InTitusville

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
A really good color parts diagram / parts explosion and/or illustrated engine diagram.

Attachments

InTitusville

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
This is what happens when you blow an engine gasket... This is engine oil mixed with coolant. It's disgusting and as think as latex paint.

Attachments

InTitusville

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Spark plugs look clean and compression is 110 to 120. I have the intake plenum and one valve cover off. This gunk is all over everything and think like latex paint. Any idea how to get all this cleaned up. Do I need to take the oil pan off and clean that and the oil pump off? Do I need to flush the radiator and how and with what?

Looks like the was as much oil/water mix in the oil pan as there was in the water pump. I included a picture that shows the radiator hose inlet to the water pump and the 2 heater core inlets. One heater inlet doesn't look like the other inlet and radiator inlet.

Attachments

InTitusville

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
I have the intake off and looks like the gasket bad in one place but not sure. Call the local machine shop and as I thought they suggested since the engine is as far apart as I have it I should take the heads off and have them rebuilt. I didn't want that expense on a truck with almost 200,000 miles. See photo where I think the intake gasket when bad and the clogged coolant port on the driver side cylinder head.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals