• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tax time overhaul?

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Been throwing the idea of fixing up my 94 Explorer XLT or retiring her in favor of a newer Ranger/Explorer...

The body is fairly clean. Just a touch of rust has appeared on that rear fender since this pic.

Already has Warn hubs.

Don't have picks of the interior right now, but also clean. Quiet running 4.0, M5OD/1354M :thefinger:.

To get her back to being tip top, it looks like a new clutch, get the trans gutted and rebuilt, and find and ohhh so elusive coolant leak... Occasional check engine light, but nothing overly bothersome.

Feel free to shoot some opinions. Might keep her one more year. :D :beer:

Using TRS for my parts list:

Radiator
Thermostat
Heater Core
Upper Rad Hose
Lower Rad Hose
Water Pump
Fan Clutch
Clutch Kit
M5OD (rebuild or acquire)
1354M (rebuild?)
Rear Shackles

That's it before I start to think about lifts or tires.

Last edited:

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Id keep it, most of the stuff you listed would only take you a couple days max to fix. If its not giving you tons of trouble, why get rid of it :icon_thumby:

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Id keep it, most of the stuff you listed would only take you a couple days max to fix. If its not giving you tons of trouble, why get rid of it :icon_thumby:
Honestly, gonna probably gut the cooling system, start from scratch. Has anyone had any luck with bench rebuilt transmissions? Should I just use mine as a core and find a new one?

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
I rebuilt mine and it was pretty easy. You need a bearing press and clamps for a few things, instructions from a garage are helpful, and we used a whizz wheel to cut off some bearings. Got stuff from Transparts on eBay. I have yet to install and test it though.

Here is a photo thread I used for reference: http://www.broncoii-ranger.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6792
And gallery: http://s128.beta.photobucket.com/user/Villanmotorsports/library/doubler/Trans Teardown?fromLegacy=true

One warning I can give you is the further you dig into the vehicle, the more problems you find and fix. I have pretty much restored my Ranger minus an engine rebuild. It was suppose to be about 3 months. I am now at 11 months and still not done. Take a look at my build. I did the same thing you are planning with the nice tax return I got last year.

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I rebuilt mine and it was pretty easy. You need a bearing press and clamps for a few things, instructions from a garage are helpful, and we used a whizz wheel to cut off some bearings. Got stuff from Transparts on eBay. I have yet to install and test it though.

Here is a photo thread I used for reference: http://www.broncoii-ranger.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6792
And gallery: http://s128.beta.photobucket.com/user/Villanmotorsports/library/doubler/Trans Teardown?fromLegacy=true

One warning I can give you is the further you dig into the vehicle, the more problems you find and fix. I have pretty much restored my Ranger minus an engine rebuild. It was suppose to be about 3 months. I am now at 11 months and still not done. Take a look at my build. I did the same thing you are planning with the nice tax return I got last year.
That's what I fear lol. She's my winter/rain DD so she can't be off the road too much... The list gets a little longer everyday. Shakles are needed for sure, t-case might want a touch up with the trans.. Gotta find an OBD I scanner...

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
That's what I fear lol. She's my winter/rain DD so she can't be off the road too much... The list gets a little longer everyday. Shakles are needed for sure, t-case might want a touch up with the trans.. Gotta find an OBD I scanner...
Ya. I can tell you shackles/spring hangars are not very fun. Anything that had a rubber bushing in it and has been exposed to moisture and rock salt will be a mess...

That is a rare explorer you have, I think it is worth it. But leave yourself adequate time and expect to spend more than you think lol :icon_rofl:

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ya. I can tell you shackles/spring hangars are not very fun. Anything that had a rubber bushing in it and has been exposed to moisture and rock salt will be a mess...

That is a rare explorer you have, I think it is worth it. But leave yourself adequate time and expect to spend more than you think lol :icon_rofl:
Honestly stumbled upon it... Found it behind a garage at local "car dealer". Rare for it's age?

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
No, rare for a 5 speed with mechanical transfer case in an 4 door exploder. Check your axle code in the door. I bet it had factory limited slip too w/ 3.73 gears.

I had to put the 1354M in mine and they are not always easy to come by. I got luck and found mine in a 94 explorer sport in a u-pull-it. It was also a manual with mechanical t-case. That is the only other one I have ever seen.

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No, rare for a 5 speed with mechanical transfer case in an 4 door exploder. Check your axle code in the door. I bet it had factory limited slip too w/ 3.73 gears.

I had to put the 1354M in mine and they are not always easy to come by. I got luck and found mine in a 94 explorer sport in a u-pull-it. It was also a manual with mechanical t-case. That is the only other one I have ever seen.
I got boned in the axle department... 3.27 l/s :annoyed:

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
At least its L/S and you have the "power" to turn them. My 4 banger had open 4.10s and I am willing to bet that my truck with 3.73s would have been almost impossible to highway drive; 3.27s would not even be imaginable.

At least you have the highway fuel economy gears... :icon_thumby:

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
22 mpg highway. 15 city. I want to regear to 3.73 or 4.10. Need to start up a parts list though. Any suggestions for a good source of parts?

Last edited:

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
22 mpg highway. 15 city. I want to regear to 3.73 or 4.10. Need to start up a parts list though. Any sufgestions for a good source of parts?
For axles, I think 3.73 is the lowest you'll find in an explorer. They have the strongest rear axle, so I's stick with it. If you go up to a 95-01 axle, you'll be able to add rear discs.

Same case for your front axle, you have a true Dana 35, not a 28/35 hybrid. Look for and explorer or ranger donor with taller gears.

If not, new parts can get pricey.... TRSfabandoffroad.com has parts. Randy's Ring and Pinion is another popular spot. I'd try donors first.

Other than those parts, I got my stuff from dufftuff.com, summitracing.com, ebay.com, lmctruck.com, advanceautoparts.com (always look for their coupon codes first), and I buy all my hardware from allensfasteners.com (they are the only place I have ever seen that sells bolts at reasonable prices). For clutches, you may want to check out SPEC Clutches is you want to upgrade. I went with a Zoom replacement Kevlar clutch. A little better than stock, but nothing crazy.

One other suggestion is to replace all rubber components with polyurethane. It greatly improves ride quality and handling. James Duff, Prothane, and LMC carry that stuff.

Does that help? :icon_cheers:

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A crazy amount :D:headbang:. If I do end up throwing the cash for this round of repairs, lift, tires and gears are all that would be left short of rebuilding the motor.

Can't rep you again yet lol

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
A crazy amount :D:headbang:. If I do end up throwing the cash for this round of repairs, lift, tires and gears are all that would be left short of rebuilding the motor.

Can't rep you again yet lol
Thanks!

I really like the quality of the James Diff lift. I did 3" Stage 2. It is pricey, but I have heard nothing but awesome things on the improvement in ride quality. It also gives you the freedom to SAS with a few other Duff parts, or just adjust TTB lift with other springs, like early bronco or XJ. I am very pleased with their customer service as well.

I picked a mid-point on my build (thankfully). I alread have thoughts for my next upgrades... I am think D44 HP/9" Full Width SAS (built axles), ~6-8" of lift(all spring), mildly built 302 (carb or EFI), ZF5 tranny, Atlas 2 or 4 speed t-case (if budget allows) or 203/205 doubler. Probably throw on fiberglass flared fenders from a prerunner to cover my tire and hopefully pass inspection. My mind works way faster than my wallet and by building skills though :icon_thumby:

Let me know what you come up with and I'll be watching your build :icon_welder:

Here are some Duff reviews:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265477]Stonecrusher Experimental Steering
http://mirror.krakadikt.com/2009-06-09-can4x4.com/can4x4.com/tech/rangerLift/Ranger-lift.htm

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Looks like I'll be starting to order parts March 1st, so sadly no action until March =/

Need to start a parts list and find a reliable source in the Central New York area for trans and transfer work.

Any one have experience with the Skyjacker kits?
http://www.jamesoaksenterprises.com/products/skyjacker.htm

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals