• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

89 chop top

Kayakcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I ran into a snag on my rear fenders. To get the shape I want it's going to take most of the flare out of the top part of the fender opening. But leave some on the sides. Looks like I am going to have to try and do a little sheet metal work to get it to look right.

Hopefully get to work on it tomorrow. I have to fix the shift linkage on my sons car first. Then bronco time.

Kayakcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Been sitting on the wheels for a while now and finall couldn't stand it anymore. Put them on with my existing tires.

Also had a little experiment with some supposedly color matched spray paint. Got her one solid color.... Kinda :dunno:

Gives me an idea of what the final product will be anyway

Attachments

Kayakcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok did a couple of paddling and camping trips with the new rack and it worked well. But since doing just day to day stuf with the truck I didn't like the rack being in the way of accessing my bed. Dropping back to punt a little Will have new picks tomorrow. But spent today reworking mounts for my roof rack and I think I've come up with something i like.

One thing that works well is the dip in the bed. Cooler fits great a:beer:

AOMills

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I hope the rack gets to stay. It looks really good.

Kayakcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Got the roof rack, cab version, basically done it allows me to use the roof basket without the bed rack being there for better access to the bed. I probably will use the bed rack on trips. My plan was to attach the high lift and such to it for trips off road. Hauling day to day it was just kinda in the way

I bent pipe and welded it directly to the roof. Nice and solid. I could have bought a set of cross bars and mounts but it's way more fun to build your own

Attachments

Last edited:

Kayakcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Front with basket

Attachments

Kayakcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
This way I have the option for both.

Kayakcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I hope the rack gets to stay. It looks really good.
I plan on using the rack but have it off right now just for using the the bed to haul. I am fitting it with brackets for the high lift and accessories for trail use

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i have developed quite a few ideas after owning 351 rangers chop for the last several years. i have a 7 foot bed i been sitting on just waiting for me to get a better b2 to work with so i can execute the ideas.. mark pushed a concept in construction i will keep, but i want more wheelbase, his closed cab architecture is premium among-st the various methods i have seen over the ..... well since b2's been around:D

i had planned to just run gorilla flares for the EB application but this thing you got going is interesting. its a nice mix that soundly hails rbv....:icon_thumby::icon_thumby: awesome job.

i have some old shots that may demonstrate the cab size differential. of course my daughter hijacked this rig....it was for my wife.

the difference in closed cab size is perfect if your over 6 foot. lots of room for gear and etc.

Attachments

Last edited:

Kayakcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
" its a nice mix that soundly hails rbv.... awesome job."

Thanks, I definitely want it recognized as a B2, I wanted to build this because I just like them. I plan on wheeling but nothing too extreme, I have a 302 to put in it and plan on axles an probable SAS. All down the road.

right now I have a kid in nursing school syphoning all my play money:bawling:

I'm not happy with the fender flares. they turned out ok but Im probably going to have to bite the bullet and buy some cut out flares.

Kayakcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I was worried about not having enough room in the cab as well, I'm 6'1. I was pleasantly surprised. I had considered an extended cab but decided to try this first and liked it.

I really like your doors, I'm toying with the idea of something like that for the summer. Back glass out and no doors would be a blast at the beach.

rusty7983

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Great build. What about using ranger rear cab parts for filler pieces over the taillights? I am wanting to make a roll down rear window like on full size broncos. I have 2 girls so i still need the back seat. I want to cut and section a fsb tailgate. Then use ranger rear cab section and back bed pieces to fill the gap over the taillight.

Kayakcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ive seen where a few that have used the ranger bed parts and I kinda thought I would as well I just haven't found the right donor to make it happen. I don't want really spend a lot for the corners and most folks don't want you to cut up a decent bed.:dunno:

I have seen sectioning off the whole back of the ranger bed and grafting it in to make the tailgate work too. I didn't really want a tailgate though.
My plan for the rails when I finish the body work is to get some diamond plate rail protectors to finish off the top of the bed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals