• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 interchangeability

Nick998

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So I just bought a 1993 Ranger a few days ago that I am planning on building into a pre-runner, the truck came with 4.0l I was told that the engine didnt run due to blown headgasket. Upon pulling the drivers side head I discovered a cracked piston and cracked cylinder wall... So time for a new (used) engine, my question is can I swap in any year of 4.0l v6 as long as its OHV? I would still use the original computer and sensors and use the old intake manifold where most of the sensors are anyway.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, any '90 to '00 4.0l OHV will work.

Read here on the changes over the 10 years: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/40rebuild.shtml

About the only thing that may come up is the change in the crank bolt pattern in '97, switched from 6 to 8 bolts
i.e. your '93 flywheel or flexplate will have 6 bolts, if you get a '97 or up engine it won't fit the 8 bolt pattern.

Yes, use the lower and upper intake from the '93 , that way the wiring and injectors will be correct for the computer.
'95 and up Rangers had the newer EEC-V OBDII computers.

'93 may or may not have a Cam syncronizer, '95 and up will, either use yours in new block or use the cover plate from the '93 if it isn't needed, oil pump drive is in there so you do need to switch that as well

Nick998

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you for the reply much appreciated... I looked in the technical library and couldn't find anything on this.. If it's not in there I think it would be a good idea to put it in there IMO

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It is there, in a way, the link I posted shows the differences in the 4.0l OHV by year, so if someone was looking to swap in a used engine they would know what to expect if anything.

Nick998

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Oh sorry I guess I missed the link.. Yeah I got a 1994 ford explorer 4.0 and yeah there is a few differences... Like the 94 has egr where my 93 didn't and that sensor towards the back of the block which I'm guessing is the cam synchronizer which my 93 just had a plug with a gear.

Nick998

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So I got the 94 ford explorer engine all swapped in and she is running awesome... Took the truck for a test drive and I couldn't believe how quick it was. My mom has had 2 96 explorers with the 4.0 and I always thought they were dogs... I guess it makes a difference being in a 2wd single cab ranger. Another thing I noticed about that 94 EGR engine was all the carbon and crud build up on the intake ports of the head, time for some seafoam!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals