• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Losing power, Code 14 in ECM

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Today I was out taking the rig for a drive. Under partial or full throttle the engine would start to bog and lose RPM. I brought it home and checked the codes. With the tool, I got codes 10, 11 and 14.

10 isnt listed
11 says test ok
14 is Ignition pickup was erratic - Ignition Systems

From what I have found on the net so far, it sounds like it could be the ignition pickup or the EDIS. I have seen multiple posts on different engines about the EDIS/TFI getting hot and causing issues. Anymore thoughts on this? Where should I start looking? Is there a heatsink for the EDIS? Can I move it from the rad core support to the cab for example?

It was 100 degrees out today...

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
4.0l uses a Crank position(CKP) sensor, behind crank pulley, to establish basic spark timing.
The CKP sensor hooks directly to the EDIS module, EDIS module can run spark on it's own, but it works better if it has Computer input so it can stay ahead of driver input.
So the EDIS module sends a PIP signal to computer, computer uses this for fuel injector timing, if there is no CPS, and the computer sends back Spark Advance "advice" to the EDIS.
I.E. Computer see TPS(throttle position sensor) voltage go up, so driver has pushed down on gas pedal, computer sends a "heads up" to EDIS to start advancing spark, this happens faster than if the EDIS only had RPM(CKP sensor) to go on, but EDIS would still advance spark with RPMs if computer wasn't hooked up.

I would check the CKP sensor, make sure there is no mud or other junk around it, or in the "tone ring"(looks like a gear) that the CKP sensor reads.

This site has good info on EDIS module: http://www.dainst.com/info/edis/edis.html
Scroll down to EDIS-6 pin out
Check the PIP pin/wire

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Thats a good read, I didnt realize that the EDIS could be run as stand alone.

I will look at the crank sensor and connections. However, it only happens when its hot. Which is leading me back to the EDIS.

I am thinking of grabbing one from the wrecking yard and mounting it next to the computer where it never gets warm and see if that fixes it.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
On my '94 4.0l the EDIS is mounted on the FRONT side of the rad support, away from rad, I assume for better cooling.

Heat could also point to wiring issue, resistance goes up with heat, i.e. ECT sensor, Dash Coolant sender, IAT sensor, all work on that principle :)

And that is why you suspect the EDIS module, a part inside may be getting heat sensitive, it's resistance is going up too high when hot.

Last edited:

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
My EDIS is on the back of the core support between a big aluminum radiator and the battery with no air flow. I can try moving it to the front and see if that helps.

How is yours mounted? Connector pointed forward or towards firewall?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Pointed forward, toward grill.

You can't see it from the front grill, have to look up while laying under front bumper.
Had a heck of a time finding it when I went looking, lol.

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I pulled the EDIS off the core support and relocated it to above the passenger side blinker in the fender well.

Unfortunately it's not hot today. I did take it for a spin and drove it pretty hard without any issues. I guess I will pull her out and try it again on a nice hot day.

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Drove it 60 miles to work this morning without any issues.

Headed home in over 100 degree temps and she fell on her face. It surged and lost power on the grades and really struggled. The EDIS has been moved and was warm to the touch but not hot considering.

I am frustrated!

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Update: With 20 miles or so to get home, we got hit with a flash flood and huge temp drop. The rig returned to its normal condition and made it home with no further issues.

Sure is nice to have a big truck when the weather turns nasty!

I really need to figure this issue out. I truly hate the gutless 4.0 and think it's my worst upgrade ever done :temper:. This issue is really pushing me to find that 5.0 donor car, but I have a 54 coupe that needs finished before I can do the swap. I love my truck, but hate having to spend time and money on an engine that I really dislike. END RANT!

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Coil packs or 1 coil in the pack, like any coil, can get heat sensitive.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals