• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dual fuel tank in a 04 ranger?

bnichols04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I used to have an old ranger with dual fuel tanks and it was great the range it had! I got an 04 ranger 4.0 sohc and i was wondering if somebody has done this with their newer ranger. It would be great to get that fuel range! Thanks

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Didn't see anything out there about it, but it is certainly doable.

But it would have to be done a little differently because of the later model EVAP systems and the way the computer monitors fuel status, well to do it inexpensively.

You would pump fuel from the AUX tank into the primary tank, when vehicle was off, so I would go with a smaller tank for the AUX, you would also need an added fuel gauge for the AUX tank, I don't think you could combine them.

The older dual tank setups were dropped because of the emissions issues, diesels still have that option since they don't have the evaporation issues gasoline does.

96firephoenix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I think someone did an aux fuel cell using a bronco II tank, back where the spare tire lives... maybe do a forum wide search for "Bronco II gas tank"...

I remember it was on a white or red Step-side, if that helps jog any memory.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
When I bought my 02 new, I checked around trying to find someone that had or could build a larger tank or auxiliary tank for me. I did find a couple companies that would build them for me but the cost was not worth it. They told me with all the emissions requirements, they could not do it at a lower cost. I recall something like $2,000.

I decided I could live with the 19.5 gallon tank. I carry a spare 7 gallons for my off-road expeditions and so far have not needed to pour that it before I came across a fuel source. I can't say I liked the price I had to pay sometimes but still somewhat reasonable.

bnichols04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
ok great info! i thought it would be as easy as mounting an additional tank and plumb it into the original tank, but i forgot about emission crap.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
With the emissions systems installed (and needed), the only way I can see it being done without spending a ton of money is a aux tank in the bed (so it is higher than stock tank) and then plumbed into the stock tank with a shutoff valve. Install a nipple in the stock tank, plumb to shut off valve and then to new tank. I guess you could add an electric pump between the aux tank and the shutoff valve to speed things up (or allow you to put it under the bed if you can figure a way to fill it).

Then you would have to stop, remove stock filler cap (to let air out), open shutoff valve and fill stock tank. Shut off/close aux tank valve and replace fuel cap. It would be easier than carrying gas cans; but, still nothing like the old dual tank setups.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes ^^^

Assuming 19gal main tank you could install 15gal Aux tank.
Install vent hoses on both tanks filler hoses with a vent solenoid that opens/vents both tanks when transferring fuel from Aux to Main tank, same as removing gas cap.
Setup a relay that shuts off Aux tank pump and closes vent solenoid when Aux fuel level sender reaches Empty.

Maybe use a relay on the main tank sender that would automatically transfer fuel from Aux to Main when Main was empty enough and when key was off.
Fuel pump could transfer 1 to 2 gallons a minute so you would only be looking at 15 minutes of power use, battery would be fine with that.
Although a manual switch with automatic shut off would be easier, lol.

Last edited:

tac1015

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thinking about doing the same thing with my 07.Going to get under it this weekend and change a rear shackle and will look what it will take to do this. Work at a fab shop machine shop and make just about anything and was thinking about either a large main tank or a second tank where the spare is. Was thinking about doing an different rear bumper and putting the spare on a rack that will pivot on a new heavier rear bumper and doing it that way. Since I can fab any size tank I want I will see if both is within reason and large volume, maybe more than fifty gallons. If I were to make a second tank that fits in the bed , like I made one the shape of the bed floor and make it only 5 inches deep that alone would add 50 gallon of fuel and only raise the bed 5 inches. Was even looking at taking the bed liner and sectioning out 5 inches of height , plastic weld it back together and the only way you could tell in when you open the tailgate you would see the raised floor. Will seriously look into it this weekend and keep you posted.

bnichols04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
i would be interested to see what you come up with. I like the cleaner look of the tank being under the truck and that the bed would still be useable.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I think you will run into issues with a 5" tall tank that is that wide and long, i.e. the bed dimensions.
Doing it for 1/2 the bed, so 20gal, might be doable, for diesel, gasoline storage is best with lower surface area exposed, so deeper narrower tanks are better.

tac1015

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well , got under the truck and look at the gas tank idea, looks like if I wanted to make a larger main tank I can go forward a foot or so, will have to go around the wiring connector that under the body but can do it. If I made a different tank would most likely us the stock tank straps, that make for more work in making the tank , but not a big problem. Can't go any farther to the rear, will hit the rear end. The rear tank idea is easy pull the spare make a tank that will fit in the space , will need to fill that and can use the stock fill setup for the front tank, but will have to put in a second fill door. Cut one out of ranger in the junk yard , no big deal except for the repaint of the bed , not a major problem but more work, and how many people want to repaint the bed side to add a second door??? Never engineered a gas tank before ,made them, but the idea of a shallow flat tank having problems , never thought that would be a problem. So what to do ? If I had an extra tank to play with that would make things easier, could figure out how to make the pump setup work and get the breathing of the tank correct , will look into how much an tank at the junk yard would be , if I go on 1/2 price day that would make it cheaper, but still like the idea of a large flat tank in the bed of the truck and make it the new floor of the truck. Could fill it from the corner of the bed and have it gravity fill the main tank, no pump required, and could add as much as 75 gallons , easy. Want to have a larger tank so can have a much farther range if or when I need it, will stay on it.

bnichols04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
i like the idea of an additional tank being in the place of the spare tire. Would it be possible to use the same filler neck for both tanks? Maybe with a diverter valve or something?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
This fellow used a "Y" at the filler, upside down "Y"
So you put the gas nozzle in one and then the other tube to fill both tanks.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fr-tank-installed-the-good-and-bad-no-ugly.382545/

I think this would solve the problem of the EVAP pressure since both tanks are connected as far as air pressure when cap is on and engine is running.

And since both tanks are connected via that "Y" you could pump from AUX to MAIN without effecting pressure as well, so on the fly pumping.

I didn't see a 70 psi rated dual fuel tank solenoid, but there may be one out there, so you could run it like regular Dual Tanks, switch from one tank to the other.

Last edited:

tac1015

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
thought about the Y filler, didn't go into as much detail, but that should be very possible. Would probably run a second line down the fill tube some where, incase the one filled quicker than the other it would have to travel all the way to the top to start to fill the other tank. If I make a rear tank would want a skid plate to go under the tank so not to beat up the thinner steel of the tank , don't know if anything like that is out there but would be nice to have one that already exists and hope the tank can be made large enough to give a large volume of gas, could make that as well I guess. Will pull the spare tomorrow and start getting some numbers on how large to make the tank.

What are your thoughts on a tank, skid plate combo that is visible from behind the truck, good , bad , no important? I know that some ford trucks ran a second tank, had a switch on the dash to change over from one tank to the other and had a valve for the fuel line , where these just trucks that had an inline pump and not a in the tank pump???

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
FYI, Bronco II's used a tank located behind the axle (where the spare tire is located in a Ranger). It's the perfect width to fit between the frame rails. I've seen people use them in Rangers. You should look into it.
If the Bronco II tank won't work, then maybe look into muscle car tanks. Plenty of them sat behind the rear axle between the frame rails. If the fuel filler was in the right spot, you might be able to just cut a filler door into the bed floor and cover it with bedliner or something to avoid lots of body work/repainting the bedside.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals