• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

MBRP Catback w/ turndown

Dirmaid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I bought the mbrp catback for my 4.0 sohc.
Pros:
not extremely loud, but the truck means business now
ease of install was rediculously simple. they provide everything you need plus a sticker
looks very nice if you get the stainless steel
Doesnt drone in the cab
Not ricey for a V6

cons:
may have been the way i installed it, but the main pipe hits on a cross member on the frame every now and then, but i installed it in a parking lot so probably my bad
The turn down tip ends about 3 or 4 inches from the rear axle on my supercab, so expect to cut pipe on a regular cab or if you have a lot of flex in your ride

Description and bottom line:
Picture your truck with no exhaust a couple notches quieter and smooth and youve got this exhaust at idle. Midrange the sound is almost the rumble of a v8, and top range the motor and the exhaust are about the same volume.
I would definitely recommend this product. It comes in both stainless and regular piping, but i say spring for the good stuff. :icon_thumby:

Dirmaid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
After driving for a couple months now, I figured I'd like to update the review. I've yet to get around to fixing the pipe hitting the frame, but the clearance is very small so I think i may need to look at the hangers and how they got installed. I made a few highway trips and I actually kept forgetting that there is an exhaust. It doesn't drone at all until a cruising speed of 80 mph, but you shouldn't really be cruising there anyways (wink wink). 2100 RPM is apparently the frequency of everything in the cab because the change rattles, the seatbelts clatter and the seats give you a nice massage if you stay there long enough during acceleration. Another thing I noticed about this exhaust is that the sound kind of goes away at 3200+ RPM. Power gains are definitely there, though I have no dyno to show how much. The stainless has really kept its mirror shine very well after quite a few 4 hour long drives.

Also, 2700-3000 RPM is the droning spot with the 4.0. 2500 RPM is the perfect blend between grunt, rumble and loudness, and Idle still sounds like its a slightly quieter open exhaust.

These are just my opinions of the exhaust after a few months of having this installed, so if i repeated from my first post then the opinion still stands.

kemo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I saw a video of a 04 ranger with the same system... and it had a ton of drone. Definitely sounded ricey at times. Do you have video that includes in cab footage?

Dirmaid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
tell ya what, ill get with my buddy and see if I cant get a video made for ya, but it wont be very soon. He goes to a college an hour or so away so we dont exactly bump into each other often.

I know what videos you're talking about actually, I watched them before I bought my kit. To be honest, it doesn't really sound like the videos I've seen of it. An accurate way to describe the sound is if you took the sound of an 05 mustang gt with magnaflows and turned the bass down in it a bit. The reason I say this is because my friend drives said gt and his dad thought it was him pulling in the driveway and revving when I first installed it

but no current videos but ill see what I can do

RollinWOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998/2015
Make / Model
Ford/Kia
Engine Size
3.0L Vulcan/GDI 2.0L
Transmission
Manual
I just did the same install on my Ranger 3L V6. That same kit fits the 4L and the 3L, and I agree it does sound way better than the factory exhaust.

03ranger30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I was thinking about getting this kit...but my exhaust is already hidden which is really all I want, and it is illegal in MD to have an exhaust that ends before the rear axle.

Dirmaid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
so the ford lightning is outlawed there? :dunno:

03ranger30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I'm not really sure the exact law...and then again my friend could be making it up. But he says that the exhaust has to exit after the rear axle...he might just mean that the exhaust has to be visible, but I'm not sure.

Dirmaid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
i have plenty of friends fuzzy on the law too. one tried to convince me that any type of motor swap was illegal. my parish (thats county for all you non loo-z-anna folks) really only cares about emissions and how loud your music is

03ranger30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I guess it doesn't really matter, guess I will just find out when I get emissions testing done

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
just gonna throw my opinion in here, rather than making a new thread on the same product. Have had mine installed for almost a year now. absolutely LOVE IT.

being in canada, where they put insane amounts of salt down in winter, its not shiny anymore, but its not rusted really either. so its good material for sure.

up here the speed limits are 100 km/h highway, aka, 62 MPH.
zero drone at those speeds, which for me is about 2100 RPM.

sitting at idle it sounds amazing, and even all the way up to 3000 RPM t sounds so damn good. without a doubt the best ranger exhaust regarding sound there is. compared to my buddies 4.0 flowmaster 40, the mbrp is way better sounding

above 3000 RPM the thing just screams. yet, it doesnt even sound close to being ricey, as you would expect form a v6. thing just sounds absoutely mean.

yet you can cruise around town at normal driving speeds, and its barely even noticeable untill you give it some throttle.

Dirmaid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
So update on this system:
It's still an exhaust system, so that must be a good thing. I got tired of the turn down style and had an exhaust shop route it to a dual tip coming out in front of the rear tire on the passenger side. I also had to temporarily punch out the rear cats (don't worry they got put back on once the funds were there to replace them). The sound without cats was pretty incredible what with the noticeable idle and very VERY loud around town driving. With the cats back on it calmed it down a bit, but still sounds incredible. For comparisons sake, the turn down exit was a lot more tame than the side exit. Turn down also droned a bit more and didn't act as a sound cannon for when I do a fly by past jackass drivers (not unlike myself). I would still recommend this system even after running it for so long. I honestly think its the best sounding exhaust for this engine from what I've heard in person

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals