• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

RC Aviators?

kid_crash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Anyone here into RC planes?
I'm just getting into it. I've purchased my TX (DX6I) and Phoenix RC flight simulator. I'm going to be buying an E-Flite Apprentice 15e in another few weeks.
I'm pretty excited to get into this, I've wanted to since I was a kid, I figured 15 years of thinking about it was long enough.

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
All I can say is practice, as much as you can, because once that plane is in the air you need to know what your doing, because this is an expensive hobby especially when you crash.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yeah, I fly, I like to go the used route most times because I'm a cheap ass :), I've only bought a few planes new since I started.

It's fun but I haven't been able to do it as much since I moved/bought a house and have had to work on it and vehicles...

kid_crash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've actually just picked up a second hand 3ch trainer. I'll fly that for a while before chucking my new bird into the air, and I've been using the simulator this weekend. That's pretty cool, actually my five year old is pretty good with it too. The spektrum controller looks so funny in his hands its as big as his head!

kid_crash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I ordered my Apprentice, with floats and some oversize tires to convert it to a tail dragger, I came across a coupon for horizon hobby for 10% off. I'm pretty excited! I've been repairing the 3ch trainer it's ready to fly, just need a nice day to take it out.
Any of you RC aviators seen the guys from flitetest.com? They have a lot of great YouTube content, plans for foam board airplanes, really a great resource for RC aviation.

meh77gmc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I love the world of RC flying! While I'm not too good with the fixed wing side of things, I have built and successfully flown three of the flight-test models. Just not exactly successfully landed them. I love that if I crash and destroy on of those models, I am only out about $6.

I am more into the helicopter side of RC flight. I grew up as a Blackhawk mechanic and crewchief in the army and have love helicopters ever since.
I gotta say, buying a good simulator was without a doubt, THE ABSOLUTE BEST purchase I've made in this hobby so far. Here's a few pics...

kid_crash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm really enjoying the simulator. I'm gonna want to build up some more hours on it before taking out my Apprentice. I should get the 3ch out this weekend.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.

Becket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Def. into R/C!

7-9-2015 7-47-40 PM.png

7-9-2015 7-50-31 PM.png

7-9-2015 7-47-08 PM.png

7-9-2015 7-48-19 PM.png

kid_crash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Buying a 1/4 Cub this weekend! I can't wait. Gasoline 35cc, Balsa USA model. It's 15 years old but it was updated last year with new servos, electronics and a new fuel system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kid_crash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I picked up the Cub. I spent an hour with the seller and he talked me through all sorts of stuff on the plane, super nice guy. He also sent me on my way with several sets of plans and a few boxes of hardware, miscellaneous building materials and a bunch of different props.
So, the plane is 15 years old, far from perfect but I'm ok with. The electronics have all been updated with new RX and servos, new fuel system last spring. I spent Sunday afternoon getting started it took a few tries but I got her to wake up. The carb must have been a bit gummy from sitting, it wouldn't throttle up much before stalling out. I taxied around my field for a while, and I was getting ready to take the carb apart and it came out of it all on its own. Great throttle response now!
I also spent some time on my Dx6i set up, I've got the throttle dialed in so the cut off switch works properly and I have full throttle movement and it idles at neutral trim.
I had to work on the tail wheel, the springs were pretty mangled and it had a tendency to bind up, I'm not quite done with that yet.
I did take the time to mount the wings today. My daughter (8) has been by my side pretty much the whole time I've been working on it, and she really wanted to see it all together.
I'll keep you posted with my progress.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447113239.086020.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals