• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cranks but des not start

saltydawg2112

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
94 Ranger 4.0 While cranking I probed the valve on the fuel rail and found no pressure. Checked the voltage to the impact switch and found no voltage there. So I went to the relay. With the key on engine off (koeo) found voltage on coil pin and contact pin. When plugging relay back in and unplugging it, I did not feel the contacts clicking. Replaced the relay but it still will not start. I jumpered the contacts at the relay and the pump will come on and I will have pressure at fuel rail. Keeping the jumper on the contacts and the pump running, pressure in the fuel rail, it still will not start. Checked the spark plugs and I do have spark. Also I noticed that the check engine lite (cel) does not come on when cranking. Can't remember if it did come on before this problem popped up. Changed the EEC relay just because I had another handy. Disconnected the negative cable to battery for awhile to see if resetting EEC module would help but still no luck and cel still does not come on. Any ideas?
Edit/Delete Message

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

saltydawg2112

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks. I'm suspecting the same thing considering the negative of the fuel pump relay goes to the ecm. Just looking for any other possibilities. ECMs are kind of pricey.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Fuel pump power runs like this

Battery-------fuel pump fuse(30amp)------fuel pump relay---------inertia switch(impact switch)--------fuel pump

Fuel pump relay power runs like this
Battery----EEC fuse(30amp)----EEC relay-------fuel pump relay coil---------computer------ground

If you remove the fuel pump relay, with key off, there should be one slot in the relay socket that has 12volts, that is from the fuel pump fuse.
With key on a second slot will have 12volts, that is from the EEC Relay, next to fuel pump relay, this EEC relay powers the computer(EEC/PCM/ECM), fuel injectors, spark system and fuel pump relay(not fuel pump).

yes, the computer uses the fuel pump relay's coil Ground to close relay, assuming EEC relay is closed(on) and other side of coil has 12v.
Computer ONLY grounds the fuel pump relay for 2 seconds when key is turned on, computer will not ground the relay again until RPMs are above 500(engine started), OR unless you turn the key off and then ON again, and again computer will Ground the relay for 2 seconds.
This is a safety feature in case fuel line breaks, engine would stall or engine is shut down for another reason, roll over, ect..........fuel pump power is stopped so gas doesn't continue to pump out when engine RPMs are 0

Last edited:

saltydawg2112

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thx Ron. With this info I had my helper crank the motor while I help the fuel rail schader valve open. Did not even get a squirt of oil. If I jumper the contact out the fuel pump will run and I have fuel pressure. Double checked to ensure I had spark. Checked the resistance between the negative and ground of fuel relay coil. Found 0 ohms for a couple seconds then it increased up to about 10k ohms. Just can't figure out why I can't get fuel pressure when cranking. Tried cussing at it and threating it with a very large hammer. Picked up a voltage probe and will see if I get cel codes at eec test plug.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you look here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/OBD_I.shtml

There is a diagram of the EEC test plug..........with Fuel Pump slot labelled
That slot's wire is connected to the Computers wire that goes to the Ground for the Fuel pump relay's coil.
So if key is on(FP relay coil has 12v) and you Ground that slot you should hear the Fuel pump relay "click" and fuel pump should come on, same as if computer grounded it.

Last edited:

saltydawg2112

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Grounded the fuel pump pin on the eec test connector and the relay clicked and pump ran. Also did an eec test with my voltage probe at the ees test connector. It showed nothing. My cel did not lite up and iether did my probe during crank. With the key on I pulled the eec relay and plugged back in several times and I can hear the relay click. I just hve to find the power ire to the eec to ensure there is power going to it.

saltydawg2112

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Correction. Did eec test with key on and not cranking

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals