• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Puting heads back on 1991 ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/75/14
Hi all ive recenelt purchashed a 1991 ranger 2.3L and discorved blown head and head was craacked I had my dad pull it off and now i orded a new head for 150$ already cleaned up and ready for duty unfornatel my dad isnt one to rely on so i want to put the head back on my self im only 22 and really dont know major engine work except oil brakes stuff like that, I was wondering is it that hard to put it back on? i have everything oil new bolts for head all gaskets sets spark plugs you name it i have it. I didnt pay that much attention when my dad was taking it off (my fault) so im gonna try and go back by eye to put everything back on. Should i drain the oil that has coolant in it from cracked heads from the oil pan or wait till i put the head on and do oil change? also i need help with timing belt i have no idea how to set it. please help?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
First up...do you have a camera? Take pictures of everything the way it is before you take anything off. That way you will have at least something to go by when putting it back together. Take many pics with good light and make sure you check each one for clarity. Very easy to blur them...take the hood off before you take the pics too and use good overhead or indirect light.

Second thing is most of what you need is already there so as long as you have a new head gasket and all the tools you need...sockets (extended depth 9/16 with 12 points not six for the head bolts), torque wrench (get a good one), buckets to catch fluids like coolant and fuel, a new valve cover gasket and the intake/exhaust gaskets (you might be able to reuse some but don't) and gloves. Always wear gloves and position your hands so they don't slam into things whenever possible.

Safety glasses for when you are dealing with fuel under pressure...very dangerous stuff to have it blown into your face...

Take your time...watch a video or two if you can find one...it is not hard at all but takes time...and patience.

I'm sure there are other things...it's been five years since I swapped a head on the 2.3 and mine was carbureted so much simpler to do.

I will let the others fill in the stuff I left out...have fun...be safe.

atikovi

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Take pictures of everything the way it is before you take anything off. That way you will have at least something to go by when putting it back together.
He said it's already apart. Even mechanics hate to work on cars that somebody else has disassembled. At the very least, get a good repair manual. Make sure gasket surfaces are clean before installing, pay attention to torque specs for the head bolts. It's not rocket science to work on an old 4 cylinder, but if you make one mistake early on, it could take a lot of time to correct.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
He said it's already apart. Even mechanics hate to work on cars that somebody else has disassembled. At the very least, get a good repair manual. Make sure gasket surfaces are clean before installing, pay attention to torque specs for the head bolts. It's not rocket science to work on an old 4 cylinder, but if you make one mistake early on, it could take a lot of time to correct.
Ah, you're right...I guess I saw new head and skipped over the part where his dad took it apart...

So I guess he might need some pics of the 1991 fully assembled...or maybe schematics...if I had one I'd post a picture but mine were all carbureted...except the 1996 but that was a bit different setup.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/75/14
Took you advice got the repair manual and already got the new water pump put on making sure i have the head getting checked by a friend tomorow just to make sure its ready to go on, I had to stop today because the thermostat housing was completely rusted inside have to pick that up tomorow and a spark plug gap tool. Do you think i should put the spark plugs on while the head is off or wait?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/75/14
First up...do you have a camera? Take pictures of everything the way it is before you take anything off. That way you will have at least something to go by when putting it back together. Take many pics with good light and make sure you check each one for clarity. Very easy to blur them...take the hood off before you take the pics too and use good overhead or indirect light.

Second thing is most of what you need is already there so as long as you have a new head gasket and all the tools you need...sockets (extended depth 9/16 with 12 points not six for the head bolts), torque wrench (get a good one), buckets to catch fluids like coolant and fuel, a new valve cover gasket and the intake/exhaust gaskets (you might be able to reuse some but don't) and gloves. Always wear gloves and position your hands so they don't slam into things whenever possible.

Safety glasses for when you are dealing with fuel under pressure...very dangerous stuff to have it blown into your face...

Take your time...watch a video or two if you can find one...it is not hard at all but takes time...and patience.

I'm sure there are other things...it's been five years since I swapped a head on the 2.3 and mine was carbureted so much simpler to do.

I will let the others fill in the stuff I left out...have fun...be safe.
Thanks! funny thing is all the things you said i bought yesterday and funny thing is a ranger same cab config and engine pulled up and i got pictures that thing was clean got me excited.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Thanks! funny thing is all the things you said i bought yesterday and funny thing is a ranger same cab config and engine pulled up and i got pictures that thing was clean got me excited.
Excellent! Sounds like you're on your way to a successful project. Getting the head tested would be the first thing I did since they are known to crack. They are susceptible to over heating so keep that in mind if you happen to notice the temp gauge rising. I was considering putting in red lights that were triggered by the gauges after blowing two heads.

Low oil and high temps will destroy them but they are one of the toughest engines you will ever encounter anywhere...I put mine through quite a bit and they even survived my head replacements...they didn't blow because of my shoddy work either...but they did blow because I wasn't paying attention...hence the red light consideration...lol

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/75/14
Excellent! Sounds like you're on your way to a successful project. Getting the head tested would be the first thing I did since they are known to crack. They are susceptible to over heating so keep that in mind if you happen to notice the temp gauge rising. I was considering putting in red lights that were triggered by the gauges after blowing two heads.

Low oil and high temps will destroy them but they are one of the toughest engines you will ever encounter anywhere...I put mine through quite a bit and they even survived my head replacements...they didn't blow because of my shoddy work either...but they did blow because I wasn't paying attention...hence the red light consideration...lol
lmao I really wanted the 2.3 i hear that engine was a tough little thing plus this is only a weekened truck for homedepot projects i might actually start driving daily over my 17 Jetta which i love old or new anyway lol i actaully sole the old head and got a new manfactured one thats already been tested and everything looks brand new and got it for 150$. Also thanks for the positive energy it really helps especially being a minor and no idea what im doing but live and learn right.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals